Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, May 24, 2010

Get your hands off my money, or I’m calling Jack!

Today's Tids Isssue 2,137
Opening Stuff:
I’m at a loss for words. How can you possibly adequately express the grief over the loss of a friend? A friend that each year provided hope and relief. But, tonight I and many will have to face the truth. The horrible truth that “24” is to disappear form the face of the earth. The TV program that…I’m sorry…I may not be able to write the rest of these Tids. Whew. This is tough. Suck it up big guy. When the stock market dips, when democrats talk, when celebrities ooze, I could always say for the past nine years: “Don’t worry about the crap in the world, you’ve got “24” to look forward. That’s a true friend if there ever was one. Pass me a hanky please.

New celebrity couple of the moment: Fergie and Blago.

Nowhere in the list of ideas about saving Social Security (Mostly higher taxes and fewer benefits) does it recommend that no person affiliated with any congressional or executive branch of the monster can touch the “Trust” fund, except the person who pushes the button on the machine that prints the checks for those who paid into it. Or am I too late for that?

Richard Wagner’s Tristan and Isolde always tugs at my heartstrings.

Refreshingly Honest Department:
In this world of arrogant journalistic scoundrels wasn’t it a pleasant whiff of seaside air to hear Campbell Brown say that she is resigning because not enough people were watching her program. She added that nothing makes her madder than the company lines like “Wanna spend time with the family” or “seeking new career objectives”. She said it would be impossible for her to stomach spinning her own reason for leaving. So, when she turns up somewhere else, I’ll be watching.

The Question:
Name your ten favorite all-time “24” Characters other than Jack and Chloe..

The Headlines:
--0-Man Calls For Military Readiness As North Korea Threatens.
--Geithner Sees Global Economy Improving.
--Fergie Seen Selling Andrew Access For Princely Sum.
--Poisoned PDF’s Now Top Web Threat; 49% Of All 2009 (11% In 2008) Attacks Result In Flaw In Adobe reader.
--President Criticizes American Past And Demeans GW Bush In Speech Before Country’s Bravest At West Point (Well… Bravest After Annapolis).
--Jamaica Declares State Of Emergency As Drug Wars Excalate.
--Brett Michaels Wins Apprentis After Near Fatal Bout With Diabetes.

Back to More Stuff:
The almost good news is that next Fall NBC will première a new conspiracy thriller described as “Resembling 24”. It’s called “The Event”, and it is about a guy investigating the strange death of his wife who finds himself looking at a giant government cover-up. I’m putting this potential as a Tids fave on my “must give it a chance” list.

With all of the attention focused on Basketball, football or hot High School/College sport of the moment, unbelievable accomplished student athletes in minor sports often go over looked and underappreciated by the fawning public. Let’s hear it for all of those champions sweating and competing beyond the spotlight.

In case you are interested, the ratings for the 8:00 daily cable news slots (That’s where Campbell Brown resided) are Bill O’Reilly 3.3 Million, Obermann 1 Million, Nancy Grace 745K and Brown 575K.

So like I’m supposed to be really, really happy when I read that the return to volatility in the stock markets is good for the gam…, Oops, I mean traders. I have to believe that 99.6% of all stock market participants would love some stability more than anything.

I’m absolutely loving my Celtics!

I don’t know what to think about the successful production of a fully chemically based synthetic cell, but I can hear China and India officials talking now, “Oh great! Just what we need…another way to add to our overpopulation.”

Interestingly, Country Music sales is humming along, or at least remaining stable as the music industry in general is bucking some tough trends. The reason, say many observers, is because that while Wall Street magnets are pocketing the big bucks, most of the average Americans are still worried about jobs and shrinking assets. And, they “commiserate” with the woeful lyrics of country songs. Like “I got the Blankfein Big Bucks Blues” or “My Broker Took My Wife Ida And left me no IRA.”

We have given some ink to the 16 year old girls trying to sail alone around the world. But how about the 13 year old American, Jordan Romero, who successfully stepped atop Mount Everest on Friday. Can you say Best Selling Book? But, I still can’t understand one of the good luck charms he carried to the top – “Kangaroo Testicles”! Yikes!

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 73: “Gray Matter” came the lilting reply. What do they inject into these receptionists anyhow? Kent laughed to himself at his little joke as answered the face of the security company. “Hello, this is Kent Middleton for Jason Cotter.”
After a few seconds the pleasant voice of my friend Jason came on. “Why Kent. This is a surprise! I thought you were trying to stay away from me. Too bad about Bromsky.” God he liked to ramble. You’d think he’d know me by now. But he continued. “So, how are you and the sheriff getting along?” He paused a few beats. “ I still remember the meeting we had with him, and laugh at our performance.”
“Are you finished?”
“Oh yeah, you called me.”
“That’s why I’m calling. The sheriff.” Now I paused just make him understand that I was still in charge. “The sheriff is getting nosey. And I’m sensing that this isn’t dying out as fast as it should have.”
“So, what do you want us to do?”
“Well,” I started. “If you can figure out how to get a couple of guys to blend with the surroundings up here, with big black SUV’s, I want to keep an eye on Laura and Sarah Durham.” I paused, “And we might consider making them inaccessible to the police?”
Jason jumped in, “I think another accident for the Durham woman would look suspicious.”
“That’s not what I’m talking about,”. Kent then changed the subject. “Your BiEmbryo security contract is just about completed.

Last week I mentioned that the dumber and dumber in the RI State Legislature are proposing a tax on sugary soda pop. I misspoke. (Oops there’s that very political word again). It now appears that this is a sweeping national trend among all legislative slugs. Under the guise of helping obese people cope, they are really trying to figure out how to pay for Obama’s bloated LollaPelosi Health Care Program. If it keeps going this way, health care will be cheaper but you won’t be able to afford to eat! Get this, the common thinking is to charge a penny an ounce for sugared sports drinks, teas and soda pops. For a 12 pack of 12 oz soda cans that would come to an extra $1.44/pack. Now if you wait for sales, you can always stock up on 12-packs for about $2.50/pack. That makes this tax equal to a whopping 57.6% tax!!!!! EeeeeeeeeeeeeeeOW!

The common thinking among people with brains is to vote them all out in November. I think we need more. Vote to shut down Congress and state legislatures for ten years. Believe me, nothing bad would happen.

The Answer:
The first two that popped into my mind are the great villain Nina and the loveable Edgar. Of course there is Renee Walker and the fantastic President Logan. I liked Jack’s wife, Kim’s mom Teri Bauer. And how could you not love President Palmer. I always though Michelle Dressler was terrific. And I liked Tony. I can’t remember the names but the Middle Eastern family of 2-3 years ago were outstanding. I liked Jack’s second love Kate Warner, and her sister Marie was one another of the terrific villainesses of the series. But one of the better guys was the CTU head George Mason who was dying and gave himself up to explode an A-Bomb in the desert in one of the most emotional scenes ever. As I got into this I found it was hard to limit it to 10. I probably had over forty very favorite characters over the series. But, that’s just the way it is with fans…we’re brain dead.

The End of An Era:
I’m thinking that next year the Tids will create and bring to you Season Nine of “24”.

And, I’m also thinking that KFC biscuits and gravy are going to be a great eating-along-with-24 snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment