Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

National Day of Morning.

Today's Tids Issue 2.138
Opening Stuff:


Now what?

Tis a day of morning indeed. Because even after a commendable final episode for “24” that included a Presidential meltdown, a couple of tense assassination events, a shot to Jack’s chest and a teary good-bye between Jack and Chloe – it ended. And the reaction I had wasn’t “Man was that a great ending”. It was “It’s over and I’ll never have it to look forward to again. It was hollow.

One of the outcomes of a disappearing manufacturing base is the artificial inflation of non productive wages to maintain the semblance of strong middle income populace. The result becomes an economic house of cards based on economically unsustainable tax supported state and local government jobs and many fairly unskilled service jobs. A recent example of this came to light when several RI towns thought they could save money by converting water meters from manual reading to electronic reading. They went out for bids and were the process of accepting one from Ohio, when they were informed that there is a RI “Make Work” law requiring that Licensed RI plumbers do all of the work. The bid they wanted would cost $365K to replace 7500 meters. The one they would be forced to accept by law would cost $526K for only 3500 meters. Can you say Greece!

The Question:
Name the five most infamous Germans of WWII.

The Headlines:
--World Stocks Weaken On Euro-Economy Fears.
--North Korea Threatens Military Action In Disputed Waters; US Begins Submarine Maneuvers In Same Area.
--Oil Taker Collides With Bulk Carrier Off Singapore.
--Lindsay receives Serious Ankle Bling.
--Britain Bans Doctor Who Linked Autism With Vaccine.
--Cal Legislature Pushing For $5 Billion In Tax Increases As Opposed To Necessary Budget Cuts.
--Analysts Looking At Cooling Of House Sales.

Back to More Stuff:

Protective Helmet Society Department:
Our save-you-from-yourself national leaders have infiltrated the venerable Naval Academy at Annapolis. Yes the leader of the country’s fearless marine based military is about to ban a 70 year old obelisk climbing ritual because somebody might get injured. A good fun, everybody love’s annual event will be banished from the face of the earth because of blatant nannyism. What’s next? Are we to succumb to more lobbying by the manufacturers who forced hi-tech car seats upon us? Only this time the effect will be forcing children to wear helmets until they are seven?

Common sense runs amok even in battle. The so-called beginning of the end Afghan offensive is stalled where it began in Marjah. Many who looked at this based on past Taliban activities could see it failing over time. The Generals are hemmed in by artificial deadlines, and the Taliban are best at abiding time. In the meantime, blood is flowing faster than the Gulf oil spill as the bad guys routinely lop off heads of Marjah collaborator suspects and scare the bejesus out of Afghans in general –undermining the objective the campaign which was to acquire unyielding allegiance for the citizenry.

A reader sends along this bit of quirkiness. Two animal rights defenders were protesting the cruelty of sending pigs to a slaughterhouse in Bonn , Germany . Suddenly, all two thousand pigs broke loose and escaped through a broken fence, stampeding madly. The two helpless protesters were trampled to death.

I am always looking to better my health. So in an effort to “Go Brown” – replacing whites like rice and bread with brown versions – I am mixing KFC gravy with my rice. It takes on a healthy glow and tastes great.
Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 74: I felt more comfortable with Paul in bed last night. But I kept thinking the intensity wasn’t the same as with Kent. Was it because of the adventure with Kent. Was it because Kent Middleton was a special person. That Kent was like me and we were totally compatible. I was trying to calm my self with motherly chores like getting the kids breakfast and then laughing with them as they ate. All to what? Assuage my guilt. Or to procrastinate my feelings. Where were my feelings anyhow. I never felt anything but pleasure when with Paul…or Kent.
The phone rang. The woman I hate most in life, the caller ID lady garbled the name of “Clax Tonwill” and I picked it up the receiver. “How are you feeling” were his first words. The he went on about my plans.
Today was my first day to drive back to work and test my energy. (Even though Kent has thoroughly tested it already and I passed with flying colors.) “I’m feeling good, and should be there by 10:00. I ave had a few meeting, as you know with Izzy and others, but I really want to catch up with you. Get your opinions. A lot has happened since I was in the accident, and I am positive that I am light years behind you.”
“Don’t worry Boss,” he replied in his usual comforting way. Then he added somberly. “You will be interested in talking to our lawyers about the conspiracy mess and how it may relate to the company’s fortunes.”
“Thanks, Bill, I can hardly wait.”

I have noticed lately that when talking about antiques you I have to use the expression “at the previous turn of the century.”

A terrorist named Khay Rahnajet didn’t pay enough postage on a letter bomb. It came back with “Return to Sender” stamped on it. Forgetting it was a bomb, he opened it…and you can understand the rest of the story.

The Answer:
After Hitler, the leading men in the 3rd Reich were Herman Goring, Joseph Goebbels, Rudolf Hess, Heinrich Himmler, Ernst Rohm and Martin Bormann. They wouldn’t have lasted so long if Jack bauer had been on the scene.

It's Over:
The good news is that Jack was last seen running, probably to the set of the promised movie. I can hardly wait.
KThunk. KThunk. KTnunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment