Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, July 5, 2010

Here a hero, there a hero.

Today's Tids Issue 2,167)
Opening Stuff

A unique 4th of July setting is the original Providence RI neighborhood of George M. Cohan where current residents and passers-bys’ set up lawn chairs to sing “It’s a Grand old Flag”, “I’m a Yankee Doodle Dandy”, “Give My Regards to Broadway” and “Over There”. No fireworks, just pleasant memories of a a great American who liked to sing about America.

For many, today is the Fourth of July because they don’t have to work. Pure and simple..

Why is it when you are painting that you manage to step in the only glob of paint on the drop cloth just before you run into the house to answer the phone?

The Question: This is the time when we think of heroes past. Yet there are many heroes working silently among us every day. Name five well known Service Organizations and their Founders.

The Headlines:
--BP’s Clean-up Total Up To $3 Billion.
--US Geologist Sentenced To 8 Years By China Court For Stealing China Oil Secrets.
--Arizona Residents Afraid To Travel Near Their State Boarder As Drug Killings Escalate.
--Pro Business Candidate Bronilaw Komorowski Now Likely Winner In Poland Presidential Election; America Turns It’s Lonely Eyes To You.
--Toyota Issues new recall Of 90,000 Lexus.
--World Stocks Soft Awaiting Postiive News About US Recovery.

Back to More Stuff:

It really isn’t an official 4th of July until you hear the Boston Pops play Sousa’s “Stars and Stripes Forever”.

Actually when you come right down to it, the best thing about July is that by the time it’s over the NFL teams are back on the field practicing, and you have been talking about it for a couple of weeks!.

A new Consumer Reports says the best places to buy appliances are Abt Electronics and Pacific Sales followed by independent appliance retailers. Also reliable were Lowes, Sears, Best Buy. Home Depot got low grades.

I was watching the Ford Theater National 4th of July Celebration extravaganza (It came across as a poor man’s America’s Got Talent), when they introduced a segment called Kids in the White House. The narrator itemized many Presidential kids finishing with the Kennedy’s, Carters, Clinton’s and You-Know-Who’s. I thought the 4th of July Celebration, especially for this “Bi-Partisan” President, was for all Americans. The audience looked like a George Skoros Corporation organization chart.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 80 continues. –I looked at Paul, and moved my body forward a few inches. Beyond that “touch” of Kent. Paul didn’t notice, because he had no idea that he should be noticing anything at all. Only I felt he should be noticing. Little moves. Little hesitations. Inflections. Small shivers. But, he only looked at me like it was the first day that he ever saw me, and was marveled by what he saw. Only I saw what was missing.
“Well, Mr. Middleton,” Paul started. “Nice to see you outside the fortress.” I looked back and up at Kent, but he didn’t smile. He was just his scientific self. All gathered and unemotional waiting for test evidence to show him something. But, there was nothing to be seen. Paul was playing his game. I was hiding mine and Kent was Kent.
“Automatically”, Kent said, “I hear your people are adapting well to our new state of progress. That is good.” He paused. “It’s like an unbelievable novel the way your company, my technology group and your wife’s financial acumen all merged together into, forgive me, ‘A perfect Storm’.” Now he laughed. Then Kent looked down at me. “What brings you here today, Sarah Durham?”
When we met earlier I hadn’t told him I was coming over here. I had not meant anything about it. I think I was so emotionally involved with being with him, and these feeling of guilt that for the first time are entering my mind, that I forgotten to mention it. As, what it was, irrelevant. But now do I sense a little paranoia coming from Kent. The rock. “Oh, have a meeting with Izzy .It’s something I seem to be doing all of the time now.” I looked up at him. “You l know, we have a big stake in you Middleton, and a want to make sure the money flows.” I gave him my most radiant smile. I think he shivered a bit now. I know shivers.

RNC Chairman Michael Steel is the single dumbest person in history.

State workers around the country are being laid off and wondering what happened to their security. Well, that disappeared when they decided to have their cake and eat it too. In other words, they pushed for private sector income and growth along with public sector security Economics don’t work that way. Public sector incomes are tied to other people creating value in an economy. Fifty years or so ago the choice was go in to private businesses to make more money. Or, go into public job for a more modest income but with total security. The economics don’t allow both

I hate being blunt, but Brittany Spears is beginning to look like a washed up hag.

You don’t have to look at the nightly news for courage, heroes, great people. They are neighbors, friends, family. I know a woman who has been in a hospital bed for 7 months now. Medical experts have shifted around internal organs from here to there. She has lost one leg up to the groin. She has marauding bedsores that baffle the minds of medicine. Yet in her eyes you only see hope and determination. She buoys the spirits of those she loves. She looks at each day as the day when she may stand on one leg for a few seconds. Or even sit in a chair. And when that doesn’t happen, as it has not happened just about every day, she accepts it and looks forward to the next day for a new accomplishment. Her agony saddens me. But her spirit makes me want to be like her every day.

The Answer:
The key to this question is knowing what a service organization is. Sorry if I was incoherent. The Red Cross is one and it was founded by Clara Barton. The Salvation Army was founded by William and Catherine Booth in London England, Also there is Catholic Charities (Founded 1727 by French Ursuline Sisters in New Orleans). Goodwill Industries was founded in 1906 as an urban out reach at Boston’s Morgan Methodist Church pastured by Edgar Helms. Travelers Aid was founded in 1851 by St. Louis Mayor Bryan Mullanphy, It is the oldest nonsectarian social welfare organization in the US.

The Final Boom!
Time to put away the fire crackers til next year. Frankly, I saw more rockets red glare zooming through the skies this year than ever before!

No comments:

Post a Comment