Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, July 1, 2010

I'm a Yankee Doodle with dander up!

Today's Tids Issue 2,165
Opening Stuff:

Baaaaaaam!! It’s here. The Red, White and Blue month this year arrives on a frothy wave of fantastic weather; and a stock market which will dump you head first on a rocky shore. The bands are tuning up and Mom is pickin’ blueberries for that special pie. But, I’m thinking this year will be more about patriotism than any in the recent past. Maybe ever. The folks won’t be just sitting idly by while some arrogant politician tells them why they are lucky to live in the land of the free. Nope…this year it will be the people doing the talking. And they will be telling the smug, self centered pols that the land of the free is being taken away from them…and that they are damn mad. Damn mad! This will be a Fourth that will make our Founding Fathers proud.

And do you want fire works? Well you will be getting them in RI’s 2nd Congressional District where a fighter for America, John Matson, just filed papers to run as an independent against one of the four RI lightweights, Jim Langevin. Matson will be running on the basic premise – The taxpayers are getting screwed at all levels of government and nobody is doing anything about it. John will, because John really cares. And he isn’t afraid. And he isn’t beholden.

Also starting on this most beautiful of July firsts is the Lebron James Derby. Unless you have been living in a cave, you know that this is the summer of the premiere NBA free agent. But, it all centers around James. The rest of the so-called elite B-Ball millionaires are just waiting to see what James pulls in. It’s a good thing these former student athletes all spent a little time in college so they could make hedge fund manager style money.

England’s King George didn’t have a very good opinion of the colonists. In fact he thought they were revolting.

Daily Question:
High college tuitions are scary, but a new Wall Street Journal story centers around a new report that reflects earning power and lower unemployment rates among degree holders and lists the Colleges and Universities with the best returns on investment. Which colleges make up the top 20?

The Headlines:
--Market Tanks…Again.
--More Gloom Expected Today As World Markets, US Futures Are Lower…Again; China Manufacturing Data Weak.
--Oil Prices Lower.
--Kagan Looks Like Shoe-in For Approval.
--Portland Oregon Police Re-Open Gore Alleged Sexual Groping Case; Authorities Admit They May Have Dropped The Ball On This One.
--Coach Doc Rivers To Stay With Celtics.
--Premiums For So-Called Uninsurable Likely To Be Very High Under New Nirvana Health Plan.
--Toyota Announces That 270,000 Cars Worldwide, Including Luxury Lexus, Have Motor Problems.
--University of South Carolina Wins NCAA Baseball Championship; Rhode Island Freshman Evan Marzilli Is Teams Leading Batter.

Back to More Stuff:

Photo Journalism is the most deceptive of reporting. A captured instant they may capture the emotions of the viewer is often entirely out of context with an event as a whole. A writer should be able to paint the same visual in words and place it meaningfully into an entire event. But, all too often writers are becoming as singularly minded as the focused lens.

It will always be a great event when a dolphin swims into North Kingstown off the town beach as it did yesterday. I have seen occasional herds of our friendliest mammals swimming around. Maybe word is getting out that it is good eating in Narragansett Bay.

A lot of people rejoiced when it was announced by our friendly politicians that now all will be insured including those with precious health issues. And I am sure that they joyfully thought that it meant that there would be subsidies aplenty for those in the higher risk categories. Now the truth. It costs more to insure the riskier and the riskier will pay more, a lot more. I can hear the screaming now. It’s not unlike the people you hear complaining, “I thought Obama was going to buy me a flat screened TV?”

If you crossed Geroge Washington with cattle feed you’d get “The Fodder of our Country”.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 80 continues. –Paul looked at me. I could tell happy talk time was over. “Sally, you know Sally Orstein,” I nodded. “Sally says that she occasionally saw the kid Laura stop by Kent’s office after her visits with Uncle Seymore”. He paused and looked at me. My eyebrows rose slightly. “I think that is very unusual.”
“I agree,” I said quickly, leaving room for Paul to continue.
“You know I have had reservations about him just because of the way he reacted to the transfer of Bromsky team data to his group. Like he was expecting it.” Paul paused and looked up for a split second. “Maybe I didn’t say ‘like expecting it’ to you before, but now I am definitely thinking that.”
“You should talk to the FBI about this”, I said confidently, without hesitation. “They are on the case and I have talked to them about the financing. That’s why I am here today.” He appeared receptive. “You are the good third party they are looking for. To them, I have too big a stake.” Then I smiled. “But then so do you…we. But they won’t view it the same way. I waited a second. “I like the two agents I spoke to.”
I picked up my coffee and took a sip. I saw Paul suddenly look up, and then heard. “Looks like home in Fosterville.” I turned and saw Kent standing behind me. His hand was moving to the back of my chair. Then I felt is finger tips graze the back of my neck. It was totally natural movement that nobody would notice, including my loving husband sitting across from me. I shivered slightly. “I imagine you people have less and less time to see each other alone.” He laughed in a friendly way. “I bet I have seen more of your wife during this vandalism caper than you.” And Paul joined into the humor.
I was tense. I never get tense.

I’m sorry to hear that writer Christopher Hitchins has throat cancer, but that doesn’t mean I have to like him now.

It’s a sad state of affairs when the leaders cater to lawbreakers for votes. Hey, in Rhode Island they have been doing it for years. But, this illegal immigrant thing is really disconcerting. I mean…the Republicans actually believe that if they are nice to these criminals that they will vote for them. How dumb is that. Non contributors have always been the mainstay of the Dem base.

When you cross a patriot with a small curly haired dog you get a Yankee Poodle!

If ever the Congress of the United States of America needed to take and early and extended vacation it is now. This President, rightfully fearing that he will lose many Pals this November, is trying to juice up his legacy now with full court presses on a host of bad bills – Cap n’ Trade, Immigrant Reform and Bailouts. There is nobody scarier than a President who sees a potentially legacy fading away.

Quiz Answer: Some may think it would be the lower tuition State Universities. Or just the popular elite. But, while it is centered around the elite tough-to-get-into colleges, it is also an interesting mix. #1 is MIT, which is but a hair above California Institute of Technology. Mighty Harvard is third followed by 4. Harvey Mudd, 5. Dartmouth, 6. Stanford, 7. Princeton, 8. Yale, 9. Notre Dame, 10. Penn, 11. Duke, 12. Lehigh U., 13. Union, 14. Amherst, 15. Worcester Polytechnic Inst, 16. U. Cal Berkley, 17. Carnegie Mellon, 18. Colgate, 19 Columbia and 20. RPI. You’ve got it. Engineering is still king. Real talent still dominates.

And Finally…
The cartoonist in the Continental Army was known as the Yankee Doodler.

No comments:

Post a Comment