Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, March 24, 2014

Happy Zepole E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y!

Today's Tids Issue 3,050
Opening Stuff:
 
Yup, it’s Happy Saint Joseph’s Day. Around here it’s big as the great bakeries push tons of zepole’s out the front door. These are incredible cream puff type pastries, baked or fired with fillings from pastry cream, to custard to ricotta, and variations there-of, all with a rich red cherry on top. This, all for a saint who sometimes gets lost in history, as wife Mary and step-son Jesus get all of the publicity. So maybe that’s exactly why he is a saint, a husband who knew when to be quiet.
 
“We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?”
 
Big Malls are closing at a rapid rate. Of the 1,100 enclosed malls a decade ago, 400 have closed down tight or have been reutilized. However, the competition isn’t directly the Internets, as many may surmise. It is mainly the consolidation of big former anchor stores. For instance, former reliable anchor department store chains like Bloomingdales, Marshall Fields, Hudson’s, Dayton’s and a few others are now all Macy‘s. Gone are Gimbels and Donaldson’s, while survivors like Sears and JC Penny are barely hanging on. Retail is supposed to be one of the survivor industries for the country, but stores are closing everywhere. What’s next? Will everybody be working for the Government, healthcare, Sports teams or UPS?
 
Crimea: -- In the post take-over discussions, many seem to forget that Ukraine is an economic disaster. A big part of the impetuous behind a large percentage of the population wanting to go Russia was due to a package from Putin that included Pension restoration and security and significant increases in annual income. Hell, RI’ers would vote for Russia. – The US and European leaders are tip-toeing around the sanctions because the new global economic web affects everybody. Not only does Russia supply over fifty present of European energy, but there are numerous corporate intertwinings like those of Perelli and Ford for starters. US and European banks have large holdings in Russia. In other words, there are serious discombobulations that encumber logical minds.
 
All of these chain casual dining places are trying to give the impression they care about healthy eating. And, most of them seem to feature steaks with tomato chunks on top. How utterly distasteful is that.
 
The Question:
What is the world’s most recognizable sports team song?
 
The Headlines:
--Market Not Gellin’ Waitin’ For Yellen.
--Israeli Air Force Attacks Syrian Military Installations In Golan Heights, Escalating Tensions After Bombing Incident The Day Before.
--Crimean Forces Take Ukraine Naval Headquarters Without resistance.
--Toyota Settles Unintended Acceleration Problem For $1.2 Billion.
--Two USA’ers Share $400 Mil from Mega Millions Drawing.
--“Pot” Lobby Working To Introduce Marijuana To DC.
--Republicans Gaining Confidence About Taking Senate In November; Chris Matthews And Robert Gibbs Join Chorus Of Dem Naysayers; Tids Political Editor Thinks Dem Tears Are A Ruse.
--Oracle Disappoints; Shares fall 4%; Microsoft Shares Rise 5% To Dot-Com Boom Levels After Revealing Plans For Introducing IPad, IPhone Versions Of “Office Suite”.
 
I think the vote for marijuana in DC should be put in the hands of the US public. After all, it’s bad enough  now before the considerable negative potential of a stoner executive branch and congress
 
I’ve been seeing statement after statement from leaders of foreign countries that all say, “We can’t rely on Obama.” Personally, I don’t think President Obama wants to be relied upon.
 
“It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you place the blame.”
 
Some of you newer readers may have noticed by now there are more than a few mentions about eating food. With all of this hype about eating what’s good for you, the Tids  voice is necessary to preserve the notions that it’s fun to eat what you like too. Besides, for every new “Breakthrough” research project that says something is bad for you, it is never long before another breakthrough says they made a mistake. So it’s a lot like waiting for tie widths to come back, what’s bad to eat today, will be an revolutionary elixir tomorrow.
 
The leading candidate in the Governor race here said yesterday she has a new job plan that will also fix roads and bridges. Wait one damn minute! There are two things wrong there. First, it is only a temporary relief for the jobless economy here and does nothing to fix the real problem of companies with real jobs skirting our borders in droves. More important though, I pay taxes for police and fire protection, schools, garbage pick-up…and roads that work. Shouldn’t they be fixing roads on a regular basis, while budgeting funds for the future when bigger projects like bridges come due. Why is always a special project? They couldn’t be mismanaging our money, could they? Huh? Huh? It’s simple, governments waste money on a regular basis. Remember the First Amendment – Freedom of Movement! Or, something like that.
 
“The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.”
 
Just to show you where the great US economy is going, in this state yesterday -- a state that was the father of and leader in manufacturing in the USA -- it was announced that a company from Ireland was building a new factory here…to make sandwiches!; jet engine blades to sandwiches. Yikes! Yes they make those delightful sandwiches found at convenience stores. Who needs late night comedians? Just read the newspaper.
 
Is Microsoft giving up on Surface and other new Windows 8 based products? You could say that as they gear up to offer their main competitor to them and Droid, an IPad and IPhone version of The Office Suite. Stay tuned and buy Microsoft. Although, it would have been nicer if I told you that yesterday.
 
“Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to produce reproductive organs.”
 
Food Scientists have announced 7 foods that will provide long lives for Diabetics: Chia Seeds (Green hair in my digestive track? I can hardly wait for the next colonoscopy), Chili peppers (Ouch), Vinegar, Nuts, Cinnamon (Like in yummy, gooey rolls?), fish and yogurt. I think I’m going to die.
 
“When Blonds have more fun, do they know it?”
 
Reporters in the field tell me that Corned Beef was very hard to get this year. It must be that more and more people are pretending they like it. “Hey, look at me, I’m Irish!”.
 
The Conscience: Chapter 41 continues.
     Sitting in the back seat with Angelica, who all of a sudden was appearing tense, I watched Sanna texting throughout the short trip. We arrived at yet another beautiful contemporary building which somehow fit nicely with the medieval Genoa waterfront. A clean logo against a marble facade suggested there was a quality restaurant somewhere inside. As we stopped, Sanna turned, “You will like this Jeffery. Only the best for you.” I could not tell what that look on her face meant at all. I looked at Angelica for the support I was now feeling a need for, and didn’t get back what I had hoped. There is only one support tool remaining, I thought to myself, and I felt that craving rising quickly as I pulled open the handle, pushed the door and stepped onto the pavement. There were no nips in my pocket. Cold turkey is stupid, I thought.
     Sanna walked quickly ahead, like we weren’t there with her. I caught Angelica, placed my hand on her right shoulder, and received a mechanical stare in response to my kneading fingers. I felt that boat of safety leaving my island, fast. I was tempted to make an excuse and run into a bar I saw ahead, for a little confidence that would get me to the restaurant which I now see is on the top floor of this 8 story building. I put my shaking hands in my pocket. It’s going to be hard to get that first drinks to my lips without a serious spil.
    “What’s wrong”, I said to her.
“I’m scared. Don’t bother me. You don’t know my Mother’s looks like I do.” I was waiting for her to say “damn Yankee”, you know, like it’s in her genes. I needed a laugh. More than that I needed to get back that day or two of real confidence I had going for me, now dissipating at a rapid rate..
We were ushered to a nice table near a large window with a great view. I had a feeling I’d be looking over my shoulder. Something had happened between Sanna’s office and the car. It must have been that call. As I started to sort through the possibilities of it might have been, Sanna rose and said, “Angelica and I are going to bagna delle donna.” Angelica didn’t look happy to hear that. But, mom was mom, and she rose, dropping a small piece of paper. I pulled it over with my foot, reached quickly, and read, “You should leave”. My chest started pounding, and strangely my craving was being satisfied with my own juices. I stood, and immediately felt a heavy hand on my shoulder. I could tell without looking that it was my friend Bruno. It did not feel like a love tap.
 
“If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you.”
 
The Answer:
The song that clearly defines a sports team is that whistling, clapping tune that has introduced the Harlem Globetrotters for 65 years – “Sweet Georgia Brown.” The trotters have won over 22,000 games while losing about 358. Of course they played a lot against a team featuring Red Klotz, a smart guy who developed a very good traveling “patsy” team. Jersey numbers have been retired for these greats: Reese :Goose” Tatum, Margues Haynes, Wilt Chamberlain (I don’t associate him with the team), Meadowlark Lemon and Fred “Curley” Neal. The team has been around since 1920, and grew to fame under Abe Saperstein.
 
Kick back, and enjoy the original by “Brother Bones”:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opmwfRqdGsg
 
Gotta go shoot some hoops to get ready for the grandchildren.
 
I have sprinkled throughout Today’s mess a series of aphorisms from a couple of good readers. So in closing I offer, “I think Congress-People should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we can identify their corporate sponsors.” I’ll vote for that!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment