Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, March 14, 2014

The Gullibility Curse.

Today's Tids Issue 3,047
Opening Stuff:
 
Happy National Potato Chips Day, everybody! May your life be crunchy, and your conversations salty.
 
I visited a foreign country yesterday – Westerly RI. It sounds strange that a town a mere 30 miles away can be considered an adventure, but it invariably is by the folks to the east of it. That’s the nature of a small place like RI though, the miles are short but the cultural divides are long. From East Greenwich to West Greenwich you go from sophisticated suburban to comfortable pure country. It is all about the nature of people. People are different. It’s life. People tend to congregate where they see similarities. Yet, big Government continually tries to homogenize, to usurp the powers of State and local governments so as to feed their own hunger for more and more power. I mean, I like Clayville Rhode Island, but I wouldn’t want to live there. I am me, just like everybody else is them, despite what Gov statistics try to tell us.
 
That missing plane caper is getting weirder and weirder. Now they are saying it may have flown an additional 5 hours, to somewhere, for use to do something, probably destructive, later. I’m saying a giant robotic arm came from a huge Starship above, and snatched it out of the sky. Or that the pilot received an SOS, and went to rescue Sandra Bullock. Or that the plane never took off in the first place.
 
Time to start thinking about Spring Fishing; the cold waters high in streams, rippling above giant trout nestled in crevices below. LL Bean has some good savings on rods and reels.
 
The Question:
See if you can remember five of Billy Crystal’s funniest Oscar hosting lines.
 
The Headlines:
--Markets Up Nicely, Early; Bad News On China Economy, Crimea Vote And Lowest Consumer Confidence Index Number Since November Moves Dow To Negative Number In Late Morning..
--Russia Moves Fighter Planes Into Belarus Ahead Of Crimea Vote; Diplomats from West Scrambling.
--China’s New Stealth Plane Looks Remarkably Similar To The US Technology.
--CIA Inspector General Never Began Investigation Of Benghazi Attack.
--Senators Reach Deal On extending Jobless Benefits.
--ObamaCare Appears To be Dying Slow Agonizing Death As Prez Continues To Dismantle Law For His Own Purposes.
--Mystery Of Missing Jet Deepens; Could Have Been Captured And Flown To Land Base Or Lost Island.
--US Says Ukraine Military Can Have Food, But No Ammo.
--New Mass Knife Attack Kills Five At Chinese Market.
--Feminist Professor From UCal Berkley Taunts And Angrily Steals Sign Of Young Pro-Life Advocates.
 
I have a lot of trouble watching or listening to these basketball playoff games. My heart pounds too hard, my stomach roils too much. I often have to change channels to mindless shows just for a minute or two to regain my health. I cringe when my favorite mis-passes a ball, and elate when that magnificent sphere sails magnificently through the air and settles into the bottom of the net. I tense when my team has a 10 point lead wondering if they are going to blow it. When it’s over I sag into a blob on the couch. I can hardly wait for the next game.
 
On these near zero days one of my favorite moments is always walking through the furnace room at the condo.
 
Two of my all time favorite movies are “Fargo” and “Being There”. As I think back, I’m wondering if Being there isn’t the perfect movie for today, that every American should see it. It is all about gullibility, not only of people but of media. It is funny and a great social comment. I see now that gullibility is indeed the national curse. Scams are on the increase everywhere. People will believe anything, and criminals and politicians take advantage of it regularly. Being There” is not only about gullibility, but people trying to out-race each other to be more gullible than the next. Check it out in the archives of some streaming movie service. Oh, I have nothing to say about Fargo, I just mentioned it because it is one of my two favorite movies of all time.
 
I can only describe the 2014 American Idol group as a motley crew. To be honest, I have not latched on to any one particular singer like I have in the past. Maybe I haven’t watched as much as I did, but what I have watched seems inferior to what I remember. It is certainly inferior to what I’ve been seeing on The Voice. Maybe that is the problem, The Voice is better and the AI has second tier talent. I have to say, though, I thought that Ben should have stayed last night. He was one I liked a lot, well, that is, compared to the rest on the program.
 
Only the Dems would spend eight hours talking about man’s waste of energy in an all-night, lights ablazing, fully illuminated session. Well, it was not terribly illuminating.
 
Older men have to find something to do with their lives. Last Wednesday I was sitting in a chair in Country Curtains whine I saw in the space of 15 minutes, four elderly couples walk in. Since it was Wednesday, you have to figure the men were retired, or working for the state. And you also have to figure that there just aren’t that many men interested in Country Curtains. Old men need to find a winter hobby.
 
Have you ever wondered how a fish can stay so still in a cold, clear mountain stream, while waters rush wildly around it? I have. Maybe we need more leaders who know how to stay calm while insanity rushes around them.
 
I really had to laugh at the comment of the UCal Professor who stole the Pro-Life Sign: “I’m twice as old as you (The 16 and 21 yo. Girls) and have three degrees, so they should listen to me and not you.” People with degrees have spent too much time insulated in their little world and not enough feeling the love of real people. I find that when confronted by a better schooled person than I, I just listen for a while and eventually learn that beyond their enhanced phraseology, they don’t have much in the way of additional substance…Except maybe an actuary or physicist.
 
Michael Bloomberg announces he can outspend the NRA. Uh-Oh. There goes the second amendment. Which one is next?
 
Reading Between the Lines Movie reviews:
--I have to say that I can’t bring myself to say much about either of the two opening today – “Need of Speed” and “Tyler Perry’s Single Mom’s Club”. There’s not a chance I will see either one – one about an auto shop guy in an underground racing club falsely imprisoned; The other is about a group of women from disparate backgrounds who come together in their kids school association, where they find humor in life and inner strength to overcome personal challenges.
 
The Answer:
It’s always good to start a weekend with a good laugh. There were few better at making me laugh than Billy Crystal. You may remember some of these: “Good news, I found Nemo. Bad news, I found him in one of Wolfgang Puck’s puff pastries.” –(In reference to Clinton-Monica scandal) “A billion people are watching this – except for Linda tripp who is taping it.” –(Dressed as Hanibal Lector) “I’m having a few of the Academy for dinner tonight.” –(Year 27 Year old Matt Damon won screenwriting award) “Matt Damon is so young, the results were in his category were tabulated by Fisher-Price Waterhouse.” –“The “Passion of Christ” opened on Ash Wednesday, had a good Friday.” –“Welcome to Oscar 2000, or as ABC calls it, Regis’ night off.”
 
Politicians are a little like fly fishermen casting fake bugs across the waters ti entice gullible fish to the surface to taste threads of a well tied fly.
 
Sorry for the insult, fly Fisher-people.
 
Have an incredible Irish weekend, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y! And yes, that includes you my Polish friend.
Go crazy ( I could scratch the guy in red):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QER37hafbU
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment