Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, July 5, 2021

No matter what Technology brings.

 

 


Today's Tids Issue 4,947

It is still the Folks:

 

“Life is what we make it. Always has been. Always will be.” –Grandma Moses

 

Yesterday I was sitting here when I heard the drums drumming and fifes fifing outside my window. I put I my USA cap and walked to the park to see the crowds gathering as the Fife and Drum corps played. Where the 1776 dressed militia stood proudly by beneath their colonel flag “Liberty ad Union”. Uder which their ancestors fought. And it was a wonderful feeling as people of all ages just weaved through the throng waving their little red, white and blue flags, waiting til the Fife and Drum Cops would lead them to our old Colonial Statehouse and the balcony upon which George Washington once stood. And now today where the Declaration of Independence would be read. And all the people’s minds would reflect back on that momentous day. And we would all live in those words of freedom again. It was one of those sober little community things that remind us how day in and day out most people live without anger and conflict. Yes the real world, without TV hosts, bright lights.  No commercials, unless you call handing out copies of The US Constitution a commercial.

 

Yesterday was National “Fry an Egg on a Sidewalk” Day. Yesterday here, it would have been frozen an egg on the sidewalk day.

 

Which reminds me that I’m seeing signs that the next big culture cannel movement will be against outdoor grilling. Yes, the “I know what’s good for you” crowd is showing up these inane daytime talk shows making snide remarks about cooking outdoors. I’ve been eating outdoor cooked meals for about 80 years and I ai’t dead yet, And… I’m happier than hell.

 

One of my coworkers said today is her thirty second birthday. I asked her how she could possibly get anything done in such a short amount of time. Ouch! That one really hurts.

 

Joe Biden on Friday trumpeted in the growth of the economy as the fastest in almost half a century. Now let’s see. The government itself closed down the whole economy, so that now with just after a smidge of reopening it grows geometrically. Only because it is now there and it wasn’t there a month earlier. It’s like when Bill Clinton would tout the enormous growth of the Arkansas education system which started out at base zero.

 

One of the things I noticed at that Fife and Drum concert yesterday is that most people walking around were generally in rhythm to the beat 0f the drums. The few who weren’t, probably don’t stop to smell the roses either.

 

The Question:

Tere are 57 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Name five of them.

 

 

 

The Headlines:

--Markets Closed in USA; Bezos Steps Down As Amazon CEO; Tesla 3 Named Best Selling Car In UK; Fed Watchers Expect Less Tumultuous Suggestions At Wednesday Meeting.

--1,000 Afghan Solders Flee To Turkistan After Clash With Taliban.

--Remaining Tower In Miami Disaster Demolished Without Incident.

--Elsa Leaves Three Dead On Way Toawrds Cuba Now; Still On Track To Hit Southern Florida. Just below Hurricane Levels.

--US Authorities On High Alert After Wood Wide Colossal Ransomware Attack From Group Called REvil; Attack Initially Targeted US IT Giant Kaseya; Hit One Million Systems Across Globe.

 

There was a time when paradigm societal changes came from inventions like creating the ability to make pottery which enabled food storage. Ah, the things we take for granted today.

 

Whiz bang inventions may come and whiz bang inventions may go, but it is always people who make life so.

 

The past iteration Of Joe Biden said, “Packing the court is a bonehead idea.”

 

Today I spotted an albino Dalmatian. It was the least I could do for him.

 

I always stop to listen when Pachelbel’s Canon starts playing in any variety of interpretations. That melody the never disappoints is always there.

 

“Lactaid” brand ice cream sounds more like medicine than fun.

 

I have to get used to saying “Zero” instead of “Oh” when giving my credit card or any account numbers over the phone. I guess that young people don’t take “oh” as meaning “Zero”. How about “Aught’?

 

There’s always a silver lining out there somewhere.

 

Macy’s spends a lot of money on NYC’s big fireworks display. But I have to be honest with you. After watching a bit, it doesn’t take long until it becomes just one big blur on TV.

 

After years of trying to make heads or tales of modern pop music, I suddenly realized that today’s music is more for dancing than enjoying as tunes. Of course, this opinion from a geezer will be frowned upon by today’s youth shouting things like, “Go back to the Lindy Hop, Old Man!” Gladly! My ear knows music versus commercial promotion.

 

There are a lot of “Wurst” puns around. Some are good and others are wurst than others. But here’s a new one: “I ordered some German food. The sauerkraut a has arrived but the wurst is yet to come”. That wasn’t the wurst, was it?

 

The Answer:

I’m trying myself to answer from rote. First I always think of John Hancock. John Adams and Thomas Jefferson have to be there along with Benjamin Franklin. I know that William Ellery from this town of mine was one and probably another RI’er Stephen Hopkins. Samuel Adams of Massachusetts is their also I believe. Now I just cheeked The ones I picked were right. I’m glad I only asked for five. I also discovered there were ten signees not born in America. Three designated their birthplace as Ireland: James Smith, George Taylor and Matthew Thornton. And there were two form Scotland: John Witherspoon and James Wilson. Button Guinnett and Robert Morris were from England and Francis Lewis was from Wales. If you are interested, here is the entire list: https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/signers-factsheet

 

I got gas for $1.19 today! Unfortunately, it was from Taco Bell.

 

Happy day off, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y!! Sorry I had to interrupt it with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment