Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, June 25, 2010

The confidence of love.

Today's Tids Issue 2,161
Opening Stuff:

You can step bravely into the world when you know you are held dearly in someone else’s heart.

There are two things for sure about the Afghan wars: 1. The Russians were right when they said at the outset we were jumping into a quagmire. 2. You can’t place an arbitrary deadline for troop removal when the enemy has absolutely no timetable.

The Question: Why do you think the guy was canned form the orange juice factory, axed from the lumber jack job and why he wasn’t suited for the tailor job?

The Headlines:
--Government Lowers Growth Estimate For First Quarter; New Estimate Lowered From Previously Released 3% To 2.7%; Fourth Q Was 5.7%.
--Morning Wall Street Quandary: Go Up On News Of Financial Regulations Agreement; Go Down On Lower Growth Number.
--Overhaul Of Wall Street Rules Legislation Moves To House And Senate for Vote.
--Palin To return $400K After Ethics Commission Rules Contributions Illegal.
--Heath Care Rules Reveal That Employer Insured Citizens Will Not Be Able To Keep What They Have As Promised By President “Whatever It takes”.
--Scientists Find Toxins In Whales.
--Tornado Topples Buildings In Connecticut’s Largest City, Bridgeport.

Back to More Stuff:

I admit I had to chuckle at the news item, “Dutch to use ‘Decoy Jews’ to stop hate crimes. My immediate image was that of a good ole’ country boy sittin’ on a front porch with a pile of people sized logs carving Jewish appearing people as enticements for crazed bigots. Think of the great new folk art market! But, this is a serious problem in The Netherlands. For over ten years now in this one time haven for Anne Frank, Jewish people who are recognizable from clothing have been unable to walk peacefully in the streets. The Government of Amsterdam is considering posting police in Yarmulkes to attract and arrest racists. Bigotry seems to be the most resistant to antidotes' virus in the history of mankind.

Which reminds me of a funny line from a Jewish friend the other day. In a small gathering I was telling people that some security experts are recommending that instead of mace or pepper spray, people carry a can of “Wasp” spray… To which he interrupted, “Wow, I could have used that when I was a kid!”

Why do I look at the picture of Barney Frank And Chris Dodd announcing the agreement on the Financial regs bill and not feel very confident that anything will ever get better.

As a long time supporter of States Rights, I couldn’t be happier to see the reactionaries in LA and Oakland Cal back down on their hysterical boycott of Arizona legislation.

This morning’s Wall Street picture is exactly why the markets are so quivery. Early this morning futures looked higher because the moguls finally knew what was coming out of Congress on new regulations. But, then just after 8:00 AM reality set in when the 1st Q growth rate was lowered due to lower actuals on consumer spending and increased imports. It is really hard to have a lot of faith in a market that more and more is day to day, manipulated by CYA traders seeking bonuses at the end of the year.

But then, when have recent executive salaries and bonuses ever been based on doing things well for customers.

A knowledge of history will always contribute to better decisions than emotions of the heart.

As far as I can see the on-going oil slick saga has come down to a debate between public CYA weenies and private CYA weenies. With much of it obscuring the facts.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 79 continues. –I told her that Marie was looking at us like she was at home at with the afternoon soaps. She laughed, not like the lover but as a friend hearing a joke. But I knew she was faking it. She wanted to let everything inside of her come out like a swollen river after a deluge. I looked at my half eaten pie. It wasn’t the time to indulge. It was a time to care. I flicked towards Marie for a check. She produced it like a magician and moved forward.
As she came to the table, Sarah/Maggie looked up at her, looked at her wearing that amazing confident smile of hers. “Henry has fired Kent and I as detectives on the vandalism caper!” Marie’s lips eased. “We decided to celebrate at this table where we spent our most effective time deciphering clues. You probably never knew how critical your place was to easing the Fosterville crime wave” Marie’s shoulders relaxed.
“No I didn’t”, she answered now playing along with our little act. She handed me the handwritten bill.
I quickly paid the tab and as I left I pecked Marie on the cheek, “I’ll be back for your pie, crime on the streets or no crime on the streets.” She shagged her arm up and tapped me gently on the shoulder.
Sarah was at her car by the time I came down the 3 steps. She turned quickly and I could see the look of sadness in her eyes. I approached and saw a small tear in the corner of her eye. “I guess we’ll have to find another place to meet. You know that I will never be able to live without you.”
I felt fullness in my throat. I didn’t know what to say. Maybe she wasn’t lying to me. Maybe I was only imaging a change. I looked over my shoulder. Marie was staring at me. I wanted to crush Sarah/Maggie in my arms. Feel her heat next to mine.

Probably the thing I like best about Wimbledon is that they all still wear white. A reminder that if it is really good it doesn’t need glitz to keep it going.

In a short comment about the absurdity of keeping passengers imprisoned on an airplane for four hours in sweltering heat, it was said that the new law hadn’t gone into effect yet. Too my knowledge the laws of common sense have been with us since the beginning of time. When people are passing out in front of you, do you need a law to tell you that something is wrong? In fact it’s probably some regulation that kept the travelers in their tomb.

Reading Between the Lines Movies reviews:
--Well, first we had Four Seasons and then the Big Chill. So now it’s the slackers turn and we get the Grown Ups. Which it is definitely not about. Five comedic guys and former basketball teammates -- Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Rob Schneider -- get together at the funeral of their coach. Woman in their lives are played by Salma Hayek, Maria Bello, Maya Rudolph. It’s about a C- movie and not very funny considering the talent. But probably will be appreciated by guys who think they are old but rally haven’t discovered the definition of responsibility and commitment.

The Answer:
He was canned because he couldn’t concentrate, axed because he couldn’t hack it and was suited because it was a sew-sew job. He then found his job in the muffler factory was too exhausting. The only noteworthy accomplishment was in the music business.

Justifiable Homicide:
After re-reading that quiz answer, I now know why some apparently calm and caring people fly into rage and strangle other people

No comments:

Post a Comment