Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, June 17, 2010

National Demagogues Day.

Today's Tids Issue 2,155
Opening Stuff

Some days you wake up and all of your thoughts are incredibly beautiful.

I have to be honest with you…when it’s Henry Waxman asking questions of BP CEO Tony Hayward, I find it very easy to root for Hayward.

The Question:
Give me 10 great uses for Baking Soda!

The Headline:
--Stocks Wallow In Pool Of Questionable Economic Recovery Reports;
--Texas GOP Rep Joe Barton Accuses White House Of $20 Billion BP Shakedown.
--Rising Jobless Claims And Poor Manufacturing Report Cripple Early Markets.
--New Estimates Put Afghan Mineral Wealth At $3 Trillion.
--Sea Animals Moving Towards Shore to Escape Oil.
--Congress Playing White Knight’s Against Oil Smeared BP Head; TV Watchers Seeing Congressional Demagoguery At Its Best

Back to More Stuff:

A couple of days ago I did a little tongue in cheek piece about the interesting correlation between the decline of American culture as we knew it and the rise in popularity of Soccer. Yesterday, a couple wanted to rent our little cottage for a week as their son was getting married in the area. Nice people. I learned that he had been in RI (He’s from Arkansas for a convention of US Soccer officials of which he is President. I told him I loved soccer!

Declining towards general cultural lunacy Department:
A teacher at a Coventry RI, Tiogue Elementary School gave is 8 year old students an assignment to create a hat that would honor the “Armed” forces. Good idea. On young boy proudly walked in with his camouflage baseball style cap – and American flag on the frond and a 2 inch plastic pin next to it that was a soldier carrying a weapon. The kid balloon was burst violently as he was rushed to the Principal’s office by an aggrieved teacher and then sent home. Kids are not allowed to bring guns to school…even for an “Armed” Forces day celebration by showing member of the “Armed” Forces with arms! I can’t take it any more.

It looks like the only double dips we can we look forward to during the next few months are ice cream cones. There will be plenty of double dip recession forecasts popping up, but most economists are calling for a slow growth economy with little sharp downward risk. – 2.3%-3.5% growth with about 5 Million new jobs over two years. The economy will be sluggish, but not dead, they say. I would stay really, really conservative.

Who woulda thunk it, that Kendrick Perkins absence would be a major determent to the Boston Celtics chances of taking home the Trophy. After all, they are loaded with big named stars. But, a guy like Kendrick is the essence of what the word “Team” really means. He clogs the middle, blocks out, sets picks, all of the little things that few ever notice yet are so meaningful to a winning team. Champions have always been made up of starts and well integrated contributing team members. Too often in our celebrity world we forget how things really work. How takes highly skilled, yet faceless “stars” to make things work. Perk reminds us of that.

Have you noticed how when there is a huge media consuming event like this endless oil slick drama, that there is a dearth of other news. Maybe there really just isn’t a lot of real news. Ya think?

Through the same Eyes: Chapter 78 continues. –I sent the kids scurrying and then reluctantly pressed the talk button on my cell phone. I took a deep, deep breath to ease my nerves and apprehension. “Hi Kent!” I said in a little more upbeat manner than I thought I felt at the moment. “I was hoping you’d call.” I continued.
“I thought you were avoiding me.” I couldn’t tell how he sounded. He has that ability to be inert.
“I think of you all the time.” That’s what I said -- I think of you all the time. “You know what you do to me, don’t you.” But does he know what he’s doing to me now, I thought.
“You sound good, Sarah/Maggie. You sound very good.” He changed the subject. Got softer. I have to be strong. I have to stay in control.
“Thanks, Kent” I had a long day and I feel surprisingly great after it.” Stay in control I said to myself. Stay calm. Lead like I always do. “How about having breakfast with me at Marie’s tomorrow morning.” I never thought that such a small remark could affect me so positively.
“I’d love to see you now,” he responded, again softly. I’ve missed your warm body and soft skin against mine.”
He was having an effect on me. I felt that wonderful familiar warmth spreading throughout my body. ”I can’t talk now.” I lowered my voice. “I feel you too.” I did. But I need to stay in control. What will I do when I see him in the morning.
“Ok, Morning it is,” he snapped unemotionally. And then, “I will have trouble sleeping tonight.”
“We’ve had some wonderful mornings together’” I said in a now raspy voice. Then I hung up before I lost my control

One congressman on the Oil panel suggested that governemtn regulators should be sitting along side Hayward too. I couldn’t agree more. Just as Fannie and Freddie officials should have been sitting along side the Goldman characters during that inquisition.

The Answer:
It makes great toothpaste. Dabbed under the arms it neutralizes body Oder. It can be an effective antacid or relieve the itches from insect bites. Mix it with shampoo for your hair or with gentle liquid soap for washing hands. You can clean sponges or polish silverware. It can take the odor out of refrigerators or sports equipment. And it can put out kitchen fires.

The Final Score:
This is the beginning of a great four days of sports. The NBA final is tonight. The US Open at Pebble Beach starts this afternoon for four days. And if you think soccer is worth watching you can find lots of that. Amd there is always your favortie baseball team. In Boston the fans are taking bets on whether the return of Manny will genrate more cheers or boos. It should be boos. Unfortunately, too many people seem to like rewarding bad behavior. I think they feel it makes them kinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment