Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, June 4, 2010

A great, upbeat day!

Today's Tids Issue 2,146
Opening Stuff:

For some reason I always think of the 4th day of June as an upbeat day. Maybe it’s because it is two days before D-Day and I envision the Pubs in England filled with soldiers enjoying their last pints with good friends and fellow warriors before they jump into LCVP’s for the Channel crossing. A trip for many which may be their last.

So, I write that because I didn’t want to start this day’s effort off with a negative story “US adds 431.000 Jobs.” What’s so negative about that, you ask? 411,000 of these jobs are temp census workers. A manufactured labor pool that has already started to decline. The backbone part of an economy, the private sector, added a mere 41K down from 218K in April and the fewest since January. The unemployment number dropped from 9.9% to 9.7% because 312,000 people left the labor force or gave up looking. Sounding like a Rhode Island Pol, The Prez said, “This report is a sign that our economy is getting stronger by the day.”

Headlines for stories that I don’t read: “How to pick healthy breads”.

The Question:
Southwest Airlines continues to get solid praise from consumers. Which airlines get the most complaints and what are three of the most common complaints?

The Headlines:
--Stock market Tanks On Suspect Jobs Report.
--Euro Hits Four year Low.
--Oil Leak Slowed.
--Gaza Activists renew Efforts.
--Florida Still Pumping Out Tomatoes Despite Winter’s Cold.
--Daily Show’s Stuart Shoots Down Glenn Beck Claims.
--Budget Restrictions Increasing 4 Day School Weeks.
--Holloway Murder Suspect Shipped To Peru To face Charges For Similar Murder Of Younger Woman.

Back to More Stuff:

I totally missed it. But, one of our sharp eyed readers asks after reading my Tid about Joe Biden’s approval of Israel taking a tough stand on what is smuggled into their country: “Any chance he would take a strong stand on what we let across our borders?

I just love our brilliant readers.

The best things in life are expressed simply.

I’m finding the News in general is very quiet. The media are rolling along with the big mess in the gulf, but 90% of it isn’t news. It is a good indicator of how little real news there is each day. At least on a national level. The most important things happen locally, but unfortunately too many people think they have to be national.

I thought it was interesting to learn that the far and away favorite class of third grade students in an East Greenwich RI elementary school was the “History of our Town”. How great is that! We hear so much global crap these days that I believe it is refreshing to know that kids are loving learning and feeling proud about where they live. What could be better for America than that!

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 75 continues. –There is that name Kent again. Could I be so blind. Me the magnificent? He is so relaxed. So not into the running of BiEm. He lets his people do just about everything in his lab. But he does rule with an iron fist and even though not noticeable they cower to his power. “What do they say about Kent Middleton?” I asked.
“Basically, Bromsky beneath his ego and arrogance seemed afraid of him. And made comments indicating he was being manipulated. These are things that people in our business pick up. You know we are all basically paranoid and we know how to look for it in others.”
“We call paranoia ‘Instinct’ here, Bill.” We laughed. “Ok, what do we know? We know that Middleton had everything to gain when Bromsky got caught. You have to admit, it was kind of an outrageous scheme. That’s interesting in itself. We know that Laura was Bromsky’s niece.” I looked at Bill. “And, Bill, I know that Laura is doing cleaning work and Middleton’s house is one of her customers.” Then I heard my self mumbling to my self, “I wonder what size bra she wears…”
“What was that Boss?” He was looking at me oddly. “Did you say something about bra sizes?”
I started to skirt the question when the phone rang. I put up my hand to quiet Bill. “Hello?” I looked at Bill and mouthed Henry Boulder. I’m not sure he knew who Henry Boulder was. “Hi Henry.”
“Well, detective Durham, I got something new for your file folder. Laura Jacoby seems to be among the missing.” I absorbed what he said and smiled at the coincidence of his call.
“Why would you think she is missing? You saw her yesterday. She could be in Worcester shopping.”
“It’s a long story. I just wanted you to have something to think about before I see you tomorrow. The FBI will be here, and I think they want a Pow Wow.”
“Is Kent going to be there<” I asked hoping I didn’t sound anxious.
“Nope,” he responded. “I think that is who they want to talk about.” Henry hung up.
“The mystery deepens Billy, the mystery deepens.”
“You just called me Billy, boss”.

When a tree falls in the forest, do the other trees make fun of it?

Reading between the lines Movie Reviews:
--Get him To the Greek is one of those morally depraved comedies that features lots of “F’ Words, Sexual outrages and continuous drug use. It is hard to feel for the people especially since the Rock Star trying to make a comeback is defined by his own friends as “The worst person on earth.” The plot is about our hero’s (played by Jonah Hill) effort to get the rock star to the famous Greek theater. So you can imagine, nothing goes right. It will be a box office smash.
--The promos for Splice scares the daylights out of me. A bio experiment goes wrong and almost unstoppable blood thirsty creatures leap out of corners and stop your heart’s beating. Not good for old people. A white knuckle Si-Fi ride.
--Undercover agent Spencer Aimes (Ashton Kutcher) falls in love with Jen Kornfelt (Katherine Hiegl) and gives up his cherished flashy life and high speed cars. Three years of wedded bliss are violently interrupted when word leaks out that a million dollar price tag has been placed on Aimes’ head and assassins are standing in line to kill him. This tends to put a little pressure on the marriage. Has the makings of a good yarn, but may play for laughs just a little too much.

The Answer:
Number 1 Worst is Delta. They are followed by United, US Airways, Northwest, American, Comair, Continental, AirTran, Frontier and Jet Blue. The most common complaints are rudeness, baggage problems, cancellations, reservations and in-flight problems.

The Last Beat:
Mark Twain once said, “Do not depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.” I don’t know what it means either!

Love your weekend. By the time Today’s Tids reaches you, most of you will have folded up your computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment