Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chicken counter’s dilemma.

Today's Tids Issue 2,220
Opening Stuff:

A lot of Republicans are moaning the blues over the upset of their candidate in Delaware. Their first reaction was to publicize something the media has already been trumpeting – She, Christine O’Donnell, isn’t fit for the job. Hmmm. The pundits must be assuming that people already in Washington are fit for the job. And, they have proven they are not. I think I’ll go for refreshing change.

Sometimes the best way to treat an ailing computer is to just walk away and let the machine sit alone to concentrate on its navel.

The Question:
Two years ago today the venerable Lehman Brothers lost its way and became the biggest business failure in US history. And let loose a panic that could have toppled the US. Name the other nine of the Top 10 largest failures.

The Headlines:
--Tea Party Accomplishments Has GOP Chiefs Scratching Heads.
--Mixed News n Manufacturing Has Stocks Waffling.
--U.S. Tourists Warned To Avoid Jordan; al-Qaida Ups Rhetoric Against Countries With Troops In Afghanistan.
--Israeli/Palestine Heads Meet With Hill As Mortars Bombard Israel And Israeli Counters With Jets Bombing Gaza.
--States Cutting Benefits For State Employee Retirees.
--3 Ex-Goldman Woman Establish Class Action Suit Against Financial Giant For Sexual Discrimination.
--Republicans Now Say They Are Unified In Extending Tax Benefits For All; Many Dems Ready To Join In With GOP.

Back to More Stuff:
RI’s primaries may be a harbinger of what’s to come nationally as 9 long time incumbents were thrown out. One of them, David Caprio, represents a well known political family name one of whom is his brother, the Democrat nominee for Governor. The woman who beat him appears to be the beneficiary of anti-incumbency, but it is far from that. Apparently Caprio has been trying to fight the unions and Tanzi, the upset winner here, is the bought and paid for union candidate…and a very progressive liberal who’s biggest plank is for Social Justice. Which I as you know is another way of saying budgets be damned, give it away. Be careful what you pray for.

And speaking of never ending sources of money, it has been revealed that a chunk of Stimulus Money is going to UCLA as grant to assist their effort to combat aids. However the only piece of money approved for this effort is for training African men on how to wash their genitals after sex. Do I have to say anything more?

The way I see it in the guacamole and bean world, is that the more Mexican restaurants that open, the more places illegal immigrants have to eat. I think Mexican restaurants are a Democrat plot.

I also think that the Muslim religion is the biggest bunch of whiners of any religion in the country. And the most demanding for special treatment.

Another person who stupidly put their vacation plans on Facebook was robbed. It turned out that the robbers were a ring who preyed on Facebook “tell-alls”. Maybe the police should put up bogus vacation plans and wait for the criminals to come to them. Why does anybody put out anything personal on a world wide web. Or write a stupid, revealing column everyday?

Through the same Eyes: Chapter 94. –As I turned onto High Street in the edge of the Financial District, I saw behind me the State trooper car lights flashing,. I came to a stop and he pulled up next to my window. “It looks like we made it without incident.” He smiled.
I gave him a major grin back and said a cheery “Thanks!” And, I meant it. Although I wished he’d hang a little longer and follow me into the underground garage. I don’t like them even when I’m not being stalked. But, I waved good by and my fears away. I dialed Bill as I made a left turn and headed to Post Office Square.
“Hi Maggie, Bill.” Ah…caller ID, I thought.
“What’s going on? I’m outside and about ready to go into the scary underground.” He laughed as he always did about my phobia. And before he could answer my first question I asked if he would come down and meet me so we could talk before I came up. He said good excuse Boss, laughed again and then sure.
“They are all sitting in Jack’s office. Your pal Kent,” I shuddered. “Jack, Isabelle, the slick looking guy who I don’t know and Jeff Symington.”
“Symington? What’s that old hanger on doing in there?”
“I thought it was odd too. They seem to be aiming a lot of conversation to Middleton. And, I got the feeling that Jack and Isabelle knew each other better than mere business associates”
“Really.” I didn’t look for an answer. “I’m hanging up so you can be down when I get to my parking space.” I clicked off and stuck my card in the gate machine. God, I hate it down here.

Jackie Evancho’s singing of Ave Maria on AGT was amazing. I still shiver a little thinking about it. Let’s hope she can beat out the fans that surely must be lining up for Pop singer Michael Grimm. Grimm was good, but Evancho is special.

And, while we are on TV, Rubicon is staring to take shape. I thought the lie detector testing sequence was fascinating. Next Monday marks the beginning of NBC’s “The Event” which is supposed quell the aching hearts of “24” fans. We’ll see.

The Answer:
After Lehman we had Washington Mutual Inc. followed by World Com. Next was GM and then in order Enron, Conseco, Chrysler, Thornburg Mortgage, Pacific Gas & Electric and Texaco. And you have to wonder these days how many are walking on the edge.

The End! (Not so fast pancho):
The primaries are over, and now the real action ramps up. Except that most people are already exhausted from the barrage of commercials to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment