Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

K.I.S.S.

Today's Tids Issue 2,205
Opening Stuff:

Well, today is the last day of summer and if you were an animal you could have some severe biological problems, especially with regards to reproduction. So if you start singing like a bird to attract a mate, or like the Siberian hamster find your testes growing to 17 times the normal size…turn on a light! Yes, this is the equinox where days and nights are about equal. But in about a week or so when the daylight diminishes, “Whistling a Happy Tune” is not a good things.


A new Bloomberg Poll says that global investors would prefer sending their money to China, Brazil and India instead of traditional #1 market The USA. Maybe the Prez should start selling instead of apologizing.


Stuxnet Department:

Stuxnet? What the hell is that? Well it is a very intriguing piece of Malware. In fact a downright scary piece of malware. And totally unlike any malware that ever existed with totally different objectives than any other form of Malware. Not designed to frustrate or make money or steal proprietary secrets. It is designed to digitally destroy physical things…like refineries or factories…or nuclear plants. It is so complex that since its first appearance this past June experts spending hours examining the worm have determined that it could only have been developed by a team of scientists funded by a nation. It has infected 45,000 systems around the world, but has yet to blow any of them up. This is no April fools joke. And far scarier than a cave full of Islamic terrorists. At this point it appears virtually unstoppable and could bring down the US power grid…just like that.


The world's largest Manufacturing trade show just ended in Chicago. Business was lively and manufacturers were once again ordering Machine Tools, the basic product from which all other products are made. There weere smiles aplenty among this group who have struggled for over two years. Sounds great for a high flying recovery. Except for one thing. They are buying machines that can eventually create high productivity "Lights Out " Manufacturing. Production without employees. So the once mighty Manufacturing industry which helped create the great middle class will be slow to rehire. The reasons expressed by Industry leaders at the show -- a) The absebse of a highly skilled workforce; b) The uncertain csots of employees due to Obamacare..



The Question:
Name five new positive trends of the American consumer.


The Headlines:

--Feds Comments About Inflation Pushes Down Stocks.

--Amnesty For Illegal Aliens; “Don’t Ask…” Repeal Nixed In Senate.

--Government To Launch All Out Sales Campaign On health Care; Carter Moaning, “It Coulda Bin Me.”.

--Smart Phone Study: 50% of iPhone Users Would Switch From AT&T To Verizon; 55% Would Not Buy And iPad; 41% Use Smartphone As Laptop Or Mobile Deviscer replacement While Traveling.

--Paris Denied Entry Into Japan Because Of Drug Conviction; Has to take Return Flight Home After Spending Time In Airport.

--Summers Exit expected To Ignite A series Of Admin Resignations.

--Woodward Book: Top NSC Aides Doubted Obama Afghan Strategy.


Back to More Stuff:
In a continuing Yahoo polling exercise covering a lot of questions…75% of Americans say the want their state to pass an Arizona type bill; 65% want the courts to repeal the health care bill; 65% think Republicans will win it all; It’s 51-49% in favor of not extending continuation of Bust Tax cuts to the “Rich”; 64% think heated debate about Islam is inflaming anti-American sentiment overseas. I wonder if the people's representatives in Washington know this?


With regards to the question yesterday, a reader remarks that my comments on Boob tubery brought his reveries back to Faye Emerson.


Don’t you get a little nervous thinking that the vulgar, inconsiderate megalomaniac Lady Gaga may be a role model for the next generation. Don’t we have enough problems?


NCIS is picking up right where they left off last year when they wound up #1 in the ratings. Excellent opening show, So…why would the people at Fox put up one of their new favorites, Glee, opposite they entertaining and likable Harmon vehicle? Do they own stock in the DVR corporation?


Dark Chocolate Reese’s candy sounds like a terrific idea to me. What took them so long?


Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 94 continues. –I was breathing hard, scared to death, yet all I wanted to do is to run where I last heard Billy. I sensed that it was not Bill who came out on top.

  The footsteps sounded real close now. They slowed. They knew I was here. Who is they? I started to think about my situation. More logically like I normally do. Like Kent does. Bill said that Isabelle, Kent and the creepy looking security gut had gone into Jack’s office. And Symington was there. Everything about what is happening is odd.

  The footsteps stopped. He can hear me breathing. He must. I didn’t hear anything else. Not a moan or a groan from where I last heard Bill. When will he pounce? He must have heard me. The foot steps began. I recoiled into my dark cave. I waited. I tensed. I was ready to at least make it difficult for them. Now I heard the steps running faster. Away from me. Running in the opposite direction. And I heard another sound too. A siren. A siren that sounded like it was in this garage and moving upward. In the back ground I heard two sets of footsteps running. Then the clang of a heavy metal door. They entered the stairwell.

  I started to relax. I felt tension oozing out of me. I slowly stood, this time feeling safe. Safer. I only heard the siren. And then in the distance the roar of a car’s engine. I started running my self, My feet still in pain. Where was Bill? Was he Ok? I saw the form of what appeared t be a body lying in the shadows by the stairwell entrance. It was Bill. I bent down. His mouth was bloody and his eyes were closed. I put my ear to his chest. The steady thumping of his heart was the best sound I have ever heard. I collapsed. And waited.


Originally I didn’t concern myself much about Jeeter’s fraudulent act pretending that he was hit by a pitch when it was clearly not close. “They all do it” came the cry of yahoos. “He does what it takes to win!” Hmmm. Does what it takes to win? Like kicking the ball out of the bushes onto the fairway? I always thought “doing what it takes to win meant going the extra mile within the rules to out perform your competitor. “Doing what takes to win.” Looking at a fellow student’s paper to get a passing grade? Legally outflanking the “intent “ of the law to beat a business competitor. Or defrauding an investor. When did “Everybody does it” become the new Golden Rule -- replacing “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.”


Newport RI Harbor isn’t gigantic and is a hotbed for great sailing. And, this small harbor is homeport to 10 –count em’ –10 Yacht Clubs. It was hard for me to believe, and I look at the harbor from my house. The clubs range from the mighty New York YC to the venerable Ida Lewis club. There’s the Newport YC, Goat Island YC, Cruising Club of America, Coaster’s Island Navy YC, Stoney Point YC, Storm Trysail YC and the International Yacht and Athletic Club.


The Answer: 
The new consumer is seeking value over overpriced style. They are picking “Slow Food” over “Fast food”. They are looking at a more ethical and sustainable consumption. They are exploring Volunteerism. They are choosing staycations over elaborate and expensive boondoggles. They are simplifying their lives by lazing around home in favor of frenetic shopping sprees. Home made soup is a hot new pastime. They just aren’t adding “Things” to an already cluttered house. And houses are going to be smaller with more detail and qualitry. Young adults are now embracing at a much earlier age the responsibilities of more mature living. Sounds like a step in the right direction.

The End:
Making life simpler takes the uncertainty out of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment