Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chix Come Home to roost; roast?

Today's Tids  Issue 2,211
Opening Stuff:

We just reported the worst auto sales month in America since 1983. And, it pretty much proves what many good economists were saying about clunkers at this time a year ago. “We are just borrowing from tomorrow for a sales spurt today.” It also turns out that auto companies were borrowing from their future profits to offer out of the world discounts last year. This is yet one more example of why real economies can’t (Yes can’t) function with government intrusion.

Why is the UN and “Climate Change Organizations” sending poverty ridden countries multi-billions of dollars to reign in global warming when all the people want to do is eat?

DVR’s are great for political speeches…that is, to tape several alternative programming options the night before. Actually, I know several who watched “Mad Men” instead of the Prez. Is that just a coincidence or a subconscious action.

The Question:
15 years ago, the ribbon was cut opening the striking new Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame in beautiful lakefront Cleveland. The first inductees were introduced in 1986. Name them. Hint – There were ten.

The Headlines:
--Earl Gets Stronger; East And Northeast Watching Path Closely; Experts Confident That There Will Not Be A Direct Hit As Travel Lines Get Closer To Nantucket Island.
--Tony Blair: Clinton – “Most Formidable Politician; Brilliant Thinker”. GW Bush – “Straight Forward And Direct; Very Smart; Intuitive; Calm”.
--Stephen Hawking: “God Did Not Create Universe.”
--Samsung Unveils iPad Competitor “Galaxy”.
--Jobless Claims Nudge Down; Productivity Falls dramatically. Markets Up Slightly.

Back to More Stuff:
He had to throw away his socks because they waren’t worth a darn.

A columnist sent me scurrying for these lyrics: “Good authors too who once knew better words, now only use four letter words. Writing prose, anything goes. The world has gone mad today, And good’s bad today, And black’s white today, And day’s night today…” Well you get the picture. This was written in 1934 by Cole Porter…and it certainly hasn’t gotten any better.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 92. –My car seems to be inhaling the road as my mind was racing ahead of me to Boston. Everything that appeared perfect now looks suspicious. Isabelle, Jack…Kent. Kent. How the thought of his name infects me with electric feelings. Yet while I want to be next to him, to hold him, to have him inside me, I find a small sense of resistance rising along with the good feelings. And, why would Jack so quickly abandon me? Was I just part of his master scheme? Or did I deserve it because of my distractions with Kent. Now, I have to trust Bill. I think he is still on my side. Was he putting me on too? Have I given up on myself and not known it. The phone rang.
I looked and saw it was Henry. “Hi Sarah,” he started ever so formally for him. I just had a phone call from Middleton, and he is worried about you.” My heart stopped! Kent is worried about me? I smiled little as Henry went on. “We should have thought about it first. But he reminded us of your watchdog, and your previous accident.” I looked in the rear view mirror as my knuckles whitened on the steering wheel. “Did you mention your little incident to him?” Henry asked cautiously. Probing.
I sat there. I didn’t, I said to myself. But, now it makes sense. He knows about the tail because he is part of it. “I told him,” I lied.

Government Grant Department:
With a great big headline, a newspaper reports on a new medical cancer related study: “Removing Breasts, ovaries reduces cancer rates.” I’m going for a Government grant. My premise: “Removal of head eliminates brain tumors and addictive behaviors.”

We haven’t had a good recipe in a while. How about buttery rosemary roasted half chicken over creamy polenta. First make the polenta. In sauce pan bring 4 cps water, 4 cps milk, 3 tbs butter to boil. Add 2 tsps salt and whisk in 2 cps polenta. Whisk thoroughly and constantly 3-4 mins. Simmer 45 mins part cover; mixing every 10 mins. Add ½ cp crème fraiche and 1/3 cp Reggiano Parmesano. Now the chix. Preheat oven to 450. S&P 4 skinless breasts and place in baking dish. In bowl, combine 1 ½ tbs unsalted butter, Zest of ½ l Lemon, 2 lg cloves garlic minced, 2 rosemary leaves. Spread over chix. Cut rest of lemon in slices; arrange around chix. Roast 30-40 mins (Chix temp 175 degrees).. Serve over polenta and let chick goo ooze in. Put something green like totally buttery beans on the side.

All Mac n’ Cheeses are not created equal. I have seen that Mn’C moniker attached to some pretty dreadful plates of that food staple of my youth. And often the worst of the dishes are in the most gourmet of restaurants. Mn’C isn’t gourmet. it’s just Good,. And it isn’t something chefs are supposed to experiment with. The best I ever had was of course my Mom’s. But then that’s where mac and cheese came from…Mom’s kitchens. I can still remember it coming out to the table in clear glass bowls that showed the crispiness clinging to the buttered sides and the rich brown crunchy top. And I would sit there while good old fashioned drool formed at the corners of my lips.

On my comments two days ago about entitlement bicyclists and Obama crazed Subaru owners, I received a letter from a good friend – an avid bicyclist and Subaru owner. He agreed with me on the Subaru observation but had reservations about over stereotyping all bike riders. He said he has ridden over 28,000miles (Oh my achin’ butt) and always tries to observe the laws of safe driving. As do most of the people he knows. He doesn’t live in the East.

Here’s something I can’t figure out. Because of my inability to type well, I often mistype words, especially “form” instead of “from” and “Governemtn”. And spell-check always lets governemtn go through. Does spell-check know something I don’t, or is governemtn just s confusing that even spell-check has given up?

The Answer:
The first Ten legends were Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, Don and Phil Everly, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Elvis Presley. “I found my thrill on blueberry hill.”

The surfers were here at bout 6:00 am. But there is not quite as much surf as there is anticipation. Kind of reminds you of the Obama presidency.

No comments:

Post a Comment