Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, September 6, 2010

No flag today.

Today's Tids Issue 2,213
Opening Stuff:

Well…Happy Labor Day everybody. Well happy “Big” Labor Bosses Day anyhow. Lots of labor isn’t working, but big labor is very happy about the Obama and Nancy doles.

Summer’s Over Department:
A couple of comic strips uniquely summed up the end of Summer. Wiley’s Sine Qua Non: Woman in Bikini – “Summer’s over. Screw the diet.”. And I particularly liked Brian Bassett: “Will the last firefly of Summer please turn out the lights”.

Old Earl didn’t’ have that swirl; Earl’s thud was a tepid dud.

The Question:
Cathy Guisewite is retiring. Name 4 other well known female comic strip authors.

Today’s Headlines:
--Admin And Congress Cohorts Expected To Dominate This Weeks Airtime With Long List Of Expensive New Proposals. out US Economy.
--World Markets Up On More Positive feeling Ab
--Red Sox Play their Way Out Of Hope Into Despair; New England Sports fans Turn Eyes To Suspect Pats.
--Half of All Allied Casualties For 10 year Afghan War Occurred In 2008/10(To date).
--New Zealand Quake Damage In Multi Billions, But Far Less Than Damage Form US Congress.
--Van Der Sloot Admits To extorting Halloways.
--Israel Foreign Minister Will Block Any Effort To Slowdown New Settlement Expansion.

Back to More Stuff:
I was in Philadelphia the other day and remembered how much I enjoyed the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper while living there in the early 80’s. And it is still very satisfying. While lots of people these days like complaining about daily papers, I for one would be lonesome without one every morning. I still love my Providence Journal and still spend an hour and a half to read it. Looking at other cities where I have had the opportunity to read the paper I can say I like the Boston Globe and the comprehensiveness of the Washington Post. Surprisingly though I am hard-pressed to be editorially satisfied in the big “Media Center” New York. Where the choice is one of two tabloids, (a style I do not like as a rule) or the newspaper without comics! Odd, isn’t it.

The driver in the busy tourist town thought he had found a bonanza when he saw the sign “fine” for parking!

Did you read about that Drake University ad -- “Get a ‘D+’ education.” The concept would actually work well for Alcorn State!

The Netanyahu, Abbas, 0-Man meeting is a nice election season publicity stunt, but in reality Hamas -- the power and the problem -- will never listen to anything that Mahmoud Abbas has to offer.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 92 continues. –The Volvo didn’t speed up as I accelerated and I wondered if it was my imagination. “Where are you now Sarah?” I heard Henry ask as I loosened my death grip on the wheel.
“I’m on Route two north of Lancaster.”
“Good, I’m calling the State troopers at Acton and asking to have a car head your way. Hang on.” I listened to Henry talking in the background, maybe to Paul. In about a minute he came back and on. “I told him to look for your Saab.”
“Thanks. Was that other voice I heard Paul?”
“He’s still here with Sally. I’ll put him on.” I listened to that noise you hear when people are shuffling around phones. My mind turned to my thoughts of Kent and I wondered once again why I couldn’t resist. Is love so overwhelming that it smothers sensible thinking? Or is it that sex is just too captivating.
“Hi Sar,” I heard Paul say in his always soothing, loving voice. And I responded as though Kent had never entered my mind.
“Paul, I need your voice right now. Just keep talking to me for a while. My eyes darted up to the rear view mirror. Another car was passing the Volvo which dropped back. Why would I pick out that car?
“Kent sounded very concerned about you, Sarah. At times I think he feels that he is your surrogate father.” Paul laughed and I imitated his pleasure. My father. My incestuous father, and I laughed to myself.

0-Man should travel to places like Pilsen, The Czech Republic before he starts apologizing for America again.

Chris Matthews this week said the reason we don’t like Obama is because he is “Pluperfect.” Though pluperfect is most often used in grammar to reflect something that had been done in the past, here he probably means the Latin origins – Better than perfect. Which is actually redundant. Do does that mean that the Prez is redundant. God, “I feel this thrill going up my leg.” Don’t blame Philadelphia for Chris Matthews. Most Philadelphians are great people.

0-Man with his constant pandering to the public is trying to extort republicans into passing the so-called small biz bill. Of course the last time he did this with the so-called Jobs Bill it turned out to be on large public employees Union Campaign Payback package. What voter bloc is getting paid off this time.

The Answer:
One of the first I can remember is “Marge who was actually Marjorie Henderson Buell creator of Little Lulu. My favorite stirp “For better or for worse” is by Lynn Johnson. Another look at marriage in the very sarcastivc an funny “The Lockhorns by Bunny Hoest. Some others are Nicole Hollander with “Sylvia”, Sandra bell-Lundy “Between Friends”, Dale Messick “Brenda Strarr”, Margaret Shulok “Apartment 3G”, Hillary Price “Rhymes With Orange” and Jan Eliot “Stone Soup”. Did “Lockhorns” surprise you as being written by a woman?

The End:
Enjoy a peaceful day. A day when perhaps the tourists go away.

And thus ends a brief Holiday version of your favorite morning wake-up call.

No comments:

Post a Comment