Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I’ll have another slice of pork please.

Today's Tids Issue 2,204
Opening Stuff:

When you observe the going’s on in government, you realize that these are meaty (Or juicy for vegans) times for satirists!

In a last minute effort to derail the TP’s “Unseat-the-incumbent’s-express”, 0-Man is going to ex-Pres Clinton for lessons on how to properly say “I feel your pain.”

Politics is tricky these days. You have the Democrats who do things in Congress that defy logic as well as the will of the people. You have the Republicans who talk about what to do and do nothing except trying to slip under the sheets with Dem leaders. And you have the Tea Party which the aforementioned two parties try to dismiss by saying the group stands for nothing…except getting rid of the fat and bloated existing parties.

The more I see various kinds of power brokers trying the undermine the Tea Party, the more I think the Tea Party must be doing something really well.

Brookins and Cassatt tell us they ‘hope that “Fun Guys” don’t die of anything serious’.

The Question:
Aside for the “Test Pattern” name five top rated TV programs for 1948…the year when the boob tube really started to infect people’s minds.

The Headlines:
--Strong New Housing Data Has Market Moving Froward.
--Economic Commission Reveals That Recession Was Over in June 2009.
--New ABC/Yahoo News Poll Says That Only 11% Former 0-Man Supporting Independents Think Dems Can Turn-around Economy.
--China Tells US To Butt Out Of South China Sea Disputes.
--Herriman Utah Neighborhood Blackened By Furious Fires Started By National Guard Firing Range Bullets.
--Aretha Franklyn’s Son Severely beaten At Detroit Gas Station.
--Ireland Now Carries Biggest Debt Burden In Europe; Selling $2Billion In Bonds To Test Confidence.

Back to More Stuff:
One of the major components of the recent very positive up tick in August retail sales was gasoline. In fact gasoline was the top gainer in retail sales. While the retail sales number was hailed as positive step forward towards recovery, the high incidence of gas sales actually meant that people couldn’t afford longer vacations that required air travel or overnight stays, so they were driving short a distances in the vicinity of their homes a lot of times.

Ben Stein Says: “Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don’t have to prove they are citizens.”

How come a door that is typically hard to slam shut, closes easily when you forget your keys?

Nowhere has the phrase “Firing range” been more apt that in Herriman Utah.

RI weather analysts just reported that this just past summer was probably the warmest on record. This is sure to get the GW’ers a ranting. Just as last year’s near record coldest summer got the anti-GW’ers gloating. I’m thinking that maybe it’s just weather.

How about that Clueless Lane? Yesterday’s nice run-up was attributed to by many as the result of news that the recession ended in June 2009! Say what? How come the billionaire geniuses on WS didn’t know it then? Or, maybe they did and were just foolin’ us.

A lot of graphic artists want to redesign the US money. To make it more superficially competitive with the Euro, they rationalize. Many of the more opinionated so-called visual experts are not from the US! If we can’t keep US people working designing our own money, how can we ever expect to bring jobs back to the heartland. Some of the ideas are discouraging especially one set that featured the pics of 0-Man and Sacagawia as symbolic of the fabric of America. How about a gaggle of illegal aliens too? Let’s stick with the founders for pics hoping that maybe some people will reawaken to what made America great!

Great Moments in International Diplomacy Department:
All USSR Premier Khrushchev wanted to do when he visited LA in September of 1959 was to visit Disneyland. He was denied by the US because of security. He was irate! Wondering aloud in a short speech if the amusement park was “infected with cholera…or overrun with gangsters”. In a separate instance it was reported that the Khrushchev’s were sitting at a LA dinner with Bob Hope, David Nivin and Frank Sinatra. Mrs. Khrushchev was complaining about being barred from the Park. Sinatra leaned over to Nivin and said, “Tell the old broad that you and I will take em’ this afternoon!” There is no truth to the rumor that the shoe Nakita was banging on the desk at UN was Mickey Mouse’s.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 94 continues. I held my breath and was totally silent, listening for the merest scrape of a pebble beneath a shoe. A piece of sand moving unexpectedly. I leaned to the right and bent my head enough so I could look under the car. I saw feet walking away from me towards the spot where I parked. Is this a piece of luck or a trap? I had no choice. I slipped off my shoes. I may have up to ten seconds. Hunched over, I ran silently between the parked cars and the guard rail, often scraping my legs as spaces diminished. Now about fifteen feet ahead I saw the opening for the down ramp. I would have to reveal myself for a couple of seconds. I took the time to bend down again. The only visible legs were standing behind my car and appeared to be facing the other way. I crept a few more yards to the point where I would have to rise briefly and scamper the ramp. I paused. Sucked in my breath, and ran, shoes in hand, pebbles cutting my feet. I squeezed my eyes as little pain tears formed at the corners and ran down my cheeks.
Now I heard foot steps running. Running fast. As I ducked once again out of sight down into the ramp area. I was now breathing hard, and I feared that my ability to appear silent would be gone even if I found a place to hide. The footsteps seemed softer, but that may have been because I was now floor lower. It was dark. I heard voices. Then scuffling. It sounded like Billy and “Footsteps two”. I froze again. Which way? Which way? I heard the noise of skin hitting skin. Loud vicious smacks. Then a thud, as if it was a body hitting the cement floor. Who was it? I started to move back into a dark cavern in the parking area. Now the foot steps from about were louder. He’s on the ramp. I stopped, but my breathing sounded like a steam locomotive screaming through a tunnel. The footsteps neared.

I’m hoping that the Pat’s first game wasn’t an anomaly, and the Jets game isn’t the norm. But I’m not very confident.

The NBC show, “The Event” was tense and kept your mind moving. I thought some of the characters were a little too plastic, especially when compared to those on “24”. I like the format that makes you pay attention. I suspect some will find the time shifts confusing. I hope there is some sense of reality to the explosion that now appears a little like science fiction. And let’s hope President Martinez didn’t begin life as an anchor baby. I’ll keep watching, but I think it would have been scarier if the plane had hit its target.

In my constant quest for a “24” conspiracy replacement I am also following Rubicon and of course the lovable Chuck. Rubicon is coming together very nicely with some pretty sophisticated villains lurking beyond the sight of the chaser. Last night’s Chuck revealed the “talent” of his extra cool, long absent Mom. It brought back memories of Emma Peel.

The Answer:
The road to boob-tubery started with the Milton Berle show in September of 1948. The Texaco Star Theater also shared first with the Philadelphia Political Convention and the first News show with Douglas Edwards on CBS. The Ed Sullivan Show (”Toast of the Town”) started in 48, but none were bigger then that Howdy Doody and Kukla Fran and Ollie (Adults watched them because they were more lively than test patterns). Others of note were Candid Camera, Kraft Theater, Arthur Godfrey talent Scouts, Break the Bank, The Philco Television Playhouse and the Ford Playhouse. Gamester Mark Goodson’s first show “Winner Take All” debuted that year too.

The End:
Based on some of the stuff I see on TV these days, I want my test screen back. In other words, Mindlessness comes in many forms for many genrations.  But if it is ther humans will find it.t

No comments:

Post a Comment