Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, September 24, 2010

People are the sun.

Today's Tids Issue 2,207
Opening Stuff:

Yesterday I did the moon. So today I thought I’d give the sun a chance. You know, “I got the sun in the morning and the moon at night…” sort of thing. Then I got to thinking. To me and many it says what a great way to start a beautiful day. But, to so many more it may mean --. There’s the sun, how hard will it be this morning to get from my bed to my wheelchair? Will my chemo session be as rough as it was the last time? Will somebody answer my resume today? Is there any food left in the pantry? But, you would like to think that in the toughest times in people’s lives the sun is a positive reminder that somewhere in the world around them, good people are finding ways to help neighbors and friends and relatives through. A smiling housemate with an upbeat remark and a sturdy shoulder; a nurse and fellow patient as partners in a grueling hospital session; a loyal friend with an open ear and an understanding heart; A box of groceries at the front door from the local food bank. There is sun in the hearts of people around the world.

I see where “Not Available” is doing quite well in the Fed-Ex Championship.

I could never have imagined using the words “Ubiquitous” and “Betty White” in the same sentence. Especially as a mid-80’s year old who spent most of her life as a very funny third banana. The moral of the story, out live your friends and hire a publicist.

The Question:
This is a Friday Double Bonus DQ. 1. Name five of Eddie Fishers top songs out of the 32 hits he had in the early 1950’s. 2. Name three WWII radio propagandists and give me their real names.

The Headlines:
--Rebound In Durable Goods Orders Suggests Modest Improvement In Economy.
--Dems Delay Vote On Bush tax Cuts Until After Elections.
--Europe Kicks Avandia Off The Market; US Also Places Restrictions On Diabetes Drug As new Data Warns Of Heart Attacks; Lawyers Get In Line.
--Pelosi-Palooza Will Increase Senior Health Care Benefits, But Oldsters Will Pay More Too; October Mail Will Shock Many As Insurance Company 2011 Drug Benefit Costs Arrive.
--Poll Of The Day: AP/GfK Says That While 60% Of Voters Are Unhappy With Democrats, 68& Are Don’t Think Republicans Bring Much to the Party Either; Key Finding Of Poll says That Those Dissatisfied With Democrats Are More Likely To Vote.
--Most community Banks And Small Businesses Expected To Spurn $30 Billion From Just Passed Small Biz Bill; Most Not In Mood To Invite More Government Regs That Would Be Tied To Loans.

Back to More Stuff:
I have to admit that Eddie Fisher was a pretty entertaining singer, and I often danced cheek to cheek to the very melodic “Wish you were here.”. But, I would never forgive him for dumping Debbie Reynolds for Elizabeth Taylor. Actually it was a succession of marriages that actually did him in. As he became the butt of comedian jokes, he turned drugs and his career crashed over night. Fisher died last night at the age of 82.

There are many things I don’t understand, and one of them is why Gold is so valuable. It can’t be because 600 years ago Kings made crowns out of it. Or because woman and men wear chains made of it. Or because dentists fill teeth with it. I guess it’s because promoters want it to be.

And then I wondered how does Facebook make money and why Mark Zuckerberg is so rich? Actually I reactivated an old dormant membership to go in and see what’s happening. I see a few ads, but then I see a few ads on todaystids.blogspot.com. Obviously, there is a rather significant difference between the two. Making billions in moments from a site that is not overly (or even barely) cluttered with ads, just shows the enormous power of the internet. How it can reach into he hearts and minds of people throughout the world…in an instance.

By the way, what ever happened to MySpace?

The Joaquin Phoenix affair is the most overdone story about nothing of the decade.

Which brings us to the NY Jets and the bloated story about Ines Sainz’ harassment.. Apparently she was having a lot of fun, enjoying the team’s antics, and her only embarrassment was for other journalists who were have a hissy fit over their perception of her non-existent discomfort. She praises the action of the NFL and Jets front office and disregards the hysteria of the women’s group, “Association of Women in Sports Media” and irate journalists as over reactive and impulsive. She added that the media coverage “set back the women’s rights movement 50 years”.

I heard an interesting comment yesterday about the state of American politics. The observer said that in the past we had the parties debating about reasonable disagreement on which route should be taken to get to the same America. But today, it appears that the debate is increasingly about getting to an America that has no resemblance to that of the Founding Fathers (and Mothers). One that is looking like “Of the Governemtn, For the Government, By the government.”

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 95 continues. –I stared at Isabelle, sitting there with that practiced superior look, trying to intimidate me, which is actually quite impossible. But then I think, by tying my future to corporate fools, have I also made myself the fool? I have to take charge. These politicians are obviously in a state of panic and making very bad decisions.
“What ever you have authorized, call it off.” I looked over at Jack, smiling Jack. His eyes appeared to be pleading with Izzy to save him. Maybe she was his dominatrix. I smiled to myself. I enjoy squirming. “Jack, lets get your lawyers in here and see how legally vulnerable they think we are.” You are both acting like criminals in a California Highway car chase, and you have to start acting like honest business people walking on the edge.
“What about Bromsky?” So that is what is bothering Jack.
“What do you know about Bromsky? I thought he committed suicide.” I said matter of factly, trying not to add to the man’s panicked conscience. Wiley’s head spun so fast towards Izzy that I thought he’d lose his nose. She glared at him, then returned her gaze to me. I thought Jack was ready to jump.
“The legality of our assuming Bromsky’s results should be our entire focus.” And then I stopped as thoughts of Maggie/Sarah slammed into my heart. What have these idiots done? I heard a commotion from down the hall. Sarah and two state troopers were getting off the elevator and heading this way. Sarah’a eyes burned like a laser into mine. It wasn’t love. I thought everybody in the room could hear the beating in my chest. My tear ducts wanted to shed a Niagara. But, I must remain stoic. I have to save my partners. “Don’t looks so terrified.” I said to them as the trooper opened the door for the glaring Sarah/Maggie. My chest tightened again.

Reading Between the Lines Movie reviews:
--The return of Gekko in looks like a winner. With a pretty good story line and lots of surprises. The script had to be rewritten after the downturn, and it added a lot to the movie. Douglas is great as Gekko, now out of prison and fresh upon the success of a book “Is greed Good?”. His daughter is a financial whiz but hates dad. Her Beau tries to get them together as he tries to subvert another brokerage house that did him dirt. It moves and it is entertaining.
--This is a very good comedy about a successful PR person who returns home for the wedding of her brother who’s bride is a despised bully from her geeky High School days. She becomes even more irate when she sees how her family has adopted the girl of her horrid past as a perfect person. Complicating the occasion is the arrival of a flamboyant aunt who was Mother–of-the-groom’s nemesis at a high school prom. It really works and there are LOL moments.

The Answer:
1. If you are entering middle age like I am, you may remember “Thinking of You”, “Any Time”, “Oh My Pa-pa”, “I’m Yours”, “Wish You Were Here”, “Lady of Spain”, and “Count Your Blessings”. 2. I’m thinking of Tokyo Rose and Axis Sally, the two most notorious voices of a fairly broad “Axis Radio” Operation. American born Iva Toquri D’Aquino through a set of circumstances following Pearl Harbor took a job with Tokyo radio which morphed not her roll as Tokyo Rose, a kindly voice of home designed to demoralize the troops. Iva was convicted, but she was but one of several Roses. Another American, Portland Maine’s Mildred (Sisk) Gillers was Axis Sally. Her program “Home Sweet Home” also was designed to demoralize. Her most famous effort was aimed at the men just prior to Normandy. She also went to prison for treason. The US countered the demoralization with Radio stars Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Jack Benny, Groucho Marx and “starlets Dinah Shore, Bette Davis and Judy Garland!

The Start of A Good Weekend:
It’s hard to believe that the world was first introduced to Gordon Gekko 23 years ago. And that after jail he became so famous as the spokesperson for Geico. What a country.

The Providence Journal editorial pages have gone from consistently fair to wandering in a leftist desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment