Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

 


Today's Tids Issue 5,080.

A few classic puns from a friend:

 

Too many people use the word “never” much too often.

 

A lot of the current big swings in the stock market probably have more to do with investors rebalancing their portfolios, freeing up cash, as opposed to being dissatisfied with stocks they are selling

 

‘Pro Bono”: Liking Sonny better than Cher.  (Thanks to Shoe)

 

I think it is statistically odd that Jeopardy has had these super multi-game winners. Could it be that the producers somehow found a way to manipulate contestant selection to create higher TV audience interest in the wake of Alec Trebek’s departure? Yes, I am basically a conspiracy theorist. o toto take away from the apparent brilliance of Amy and Matt, but, just something odd about it.

 

There’s a little piece of music called “First Light” by Peter Calandra that just seems to start a morning on a happy note.

 

Did you hear about the new restaurant called Karma? There’s no menu - you get what you deserve

 

The Question:

What are the five All-Time Top Motown most popular songs?

 

The Headlines:

--Markets Open Strong Despite High Inflations Numbers

--2021 Consumer Prices Rose A Blistering 7%.

--UK’s Boris Johnson Fighting To Save Hs Job Over Covid Party Scandal.

--US Judge Rules Against Prince Andrew In Hs Attempts Attempt To Dismiss Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Of Virginia Giuffre.

--Fauci Ad Paul Fight It Out; Fauci Calls Repub Senator Roger Marshall A Moro Over The Dreaded “I Thought The Mike Was Off”.

--Quebecc To Force Unvaccinated People To Pay Fine; Covid Rising In  China May Force Olympic Cancellation.

 

I think that high school track records will have to be adjusted to account for these kids having to run as fast as they can wearing Covid masks. They probably deserve a few extra seconds off their times. Any good mathematicians out there willing to solve that calculation?

 

I would probably be about as bad a food columnist as you could ever find. Meat and potatoes people don’t do well in gastronomic discovery-ville. 

 

I like Raad Paul, and I’m tired of the good doctor, but I believe that Fauci won the public opinion battle yesterday.

 

I have a few jokes about unemployed people, but none of them work

 

The Baseball Union negotiations are about to restart. One of the major topics underplayed in the media is the declining attendance in stadiums across the land. Obliviously paying salaries of over $30 Mil per year to super stars isn’t bringing in more fans. Among may little wrinkles, the Union wants to raise the minimum wage from $500K to $700K. Well, at least that is a smaller percentage increase than going from $10 to $15/Hour for the average worker. I have no idea about how it will work out, but it will surely drag on until somebody realizes that they aren’t getting their paychecks. It’s really a maano- a manno affair.

 

MLB Attendance: 2019 - 68.5 million fans paid big money to get into stadiums to spend big money on beer and hot dogs and watch a slow game.  2021 it was 45.4 Millio – a drop of 33.9%. And it wasn’t all due to Covid. TV Viewership was down 12%. But, Fox sports just signed a contract for $5.2 Billion to broadcast a sport with declining ratings.

 

Everybody is against the dreaded Inflation for a number of sound economic reasons, except Repub politicians looking to oust Congressional Dems in November.

 

The Answer:

Rolling Stone Mag lists the top 100. They have as Number One, The Tracks of My Tears (1965) by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Next was The Temptations, "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" (1972), followd by Marvin Gaye, "What's Going On" (1971), Martha and the Vandellas, "Heat Wave" (1963), Stevie Wonder, "Superstition" (1972), The Temptations, "My Girl" (1964), The Supremes, "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (1967), The Jackson 5, "I Want You Back" (1969), Martha and the Vandellas, "Dancing in the Street" (1965) (My Favorite) and at #10 -- Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "The Tears of a Clown" (1967). Some others going up to 20 are Marvin Gaye, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (1968), Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, "I Second That Emotion" (1968), Stevie Wonder, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (1970), The Supremes, "Where Did Our Love Go" (1964), The Jackson 5, "ABC" (1970), The Four Tops, "Reach Out I'll Be There" (1966), The Supremes, "You Can't Hurry Love" (1966), Stevie Wonder, "Living for the City" (1973), The Marvelettes, "Please Mr. Postman" (1961) ad at #20,  The Temptations, "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" (1966). Number 21 was pretty popular as I remember -- The Four Tops, "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" (1965). I thought Stevie Wonder’s "You Are the Sunshine of My Life" would be higher than #47.

 

I was also surprised that The Supremes, "Where Did Our Love Go" wasn’t higher than #14, because when I would be at the PX at Fort Dix drinking a beer or two it was on the Juke Box 24/7. I was infected by it in 1964. I will be humming it all day long.

Join me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTBmgAOO0Nw

 

No comments:

Post a Comment