Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, June 12, 2023

Peace and Meritocracy.

 

Today's Tids Issue 5,271 

Don't listen to the man behind the curtain:

 

 

Two silkworms in a race ended up in tie. 

 

British economists seem really worried that government has superseded entrepreneurship as the driving force in the country and that they will surely lose out in the global economic wars as the creative engine becomes sluggish. At a round table involving some of UK’s brightest, it was agreed that the businesses should be able to behave more like the US where new ideas have chance to fly relying on private investment versus government control. Hmmm, and I thought we were now fighting to diminish frivolous investing. 

  

In many respects, the Bruch Violin Concerto #1 in G Minor is perhaps the most beautiful of them all.  

 

Last night the Tony Award for best play was given to Leopoldstadt and for best musical to Kimberly Akimbo. Hmm. I used to be pretty up-to-date on Broadway stuff, but now I am hopelessly out of the mix. Best Drama actors were Sean Hayes (Good Night, Oscar) and Julie Comer (Prima Facie), For musicals it was J. Harrison Ghee (Some like it Hot) and Victoria Clark (KA). 

 

Music stops playing as mass deaths have become commonplace lately. Last week, of course, we had the horrendous India train disaster. Over the weekend we had a wedding bus flip in Australis killing 10 and sending another 25 to hospital with serious injuries. Syracuse 13 among 100’s at a street gathering were shot, stabbed and assaulted by a marauding automobile. Of course, there were more murders in Chicago over the weekend. And NYC too. We seem to be in an era of negligence and or malicious hatred. We have had better times. 

 

There are many really good regular old investment grade companies out there, but it seems to mee that FOMO has more people pouring money into juicy tech stocks. Maybe that's why the market has supposedly turned into a bull.  

 

The Question: 

81 years ago today, a young girl on her 13th birthday received a diary as a present. Who was she? 

 

 

The Headlines: 

--Wall Street Up but Looking at Wednesday for Fed Rate News;  

--Biogen Shares Rise as FDA Backs New Alzheimer Drug Easing Safety Fears. 

--Ukraine says New Offensive is Working having Liberated Several Towns or Villages in Donetsk Region. 

--Fromer Trump AG Bill Bahr Says, that if Half of the Indictment Accusations are True, “Trump is Toast. 

--Wild And Crazy Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi Dies at 86. 

--JP Morgan Agrees to Settle Class Action Suit with Jeffery Epstein Victims 

 

Fighting inflation the old-fashioned way doesn’t take into account the new outlook of younger generations who look at something they want and will generally pay anything to get it. The Fed can raise interest rates but until people start understanding the outrageous cost of some pretty simple stuff, inflation will not subside. And of course, the Government will continue to subsidize the lower end of the economic spectrum.  

 

Djokovic has a chance to shatter all of the tennis records now. Being relatively young and in great shape, in addition to being very, very good, he has 3 or 4 four more years to be a factor in all the Major Opens. Yesterday he certainly looked dominant against a very good younger player, Casper Ruud. 

 

I accidentally rubbed ketchup in my eyes. Now I have Heinzsight. 

 

As I hunt and peck, I'm waiting on one of those customer agent calls listening to their music-on-hold bouncy tunes in conflict with my own in the background. And I fear getting up to change my music knowing that for sure that is when the elusive agent will decide to answer my call. Life is fraught with conflicts and dilemmas. 

 

It seems to me that Repub politics will be in a Hiatus until the Trump thing sorts itself out.  

Did you read that story about the fire that collapsed I95 in Philadelphia. It will be a hassle for sure for commuters there. I have to say, that in all of the times I drove south I could never figure out where I95 in Philly left I95/Jersey Turnpike. But I knew it did because I lived there (Delightfully, I might add) and I drove often on I95 in around Philly. So this Tidlet doesn't mean much except that it is a mystery that has and does haunt my simple life. The good news is that I would never have run into that inferno. 

 

Did you notice how fast those climate bogeymen came out of the woodwork at the mention of that smoke from Canada? If you ignite it, they will come. 

 

Repeated evidence is showing thet marauding pods of Orcas go after the rudder making a ship or boat defenseless at sea. As one captain who has been a victim twice says, they are a smart group of mammals. Smart enough to know how to disable a boat? Hmmm. Maybe. 

 

It was pretty cool here Saturday tossing You Tube up on the big screen TV to watch a college graduation in Seattle Washington. Cheaper than airfare, and the best part being able to get up and walk around during speeches.  And of course, the pride of watching a grandchild smile.  

 

What is the best thing about living in Switzerland? Well, the flag is a big plus. 

 

In 1859 there was an immense solar storm that created a huge Geomagnetic storm on earth that played havoc on Telegraph wire and had sparks shooting and showering like the Fourth of July. But today the sparks would perhaps explode from the ears of hundreds of millions of addicted phone users while standing massed in silence watching satellites fall from the sky. It is not an if but a when say scientists. And government spending cannot stop it.  

 

Some pretty smart friends I talk to think the LIV/PGA thing is all about the PGA not being able to drum up enough money from sponsors to keep their pros happy for their loyalty. 

 

"Today I was in a shoe store that sells only shoes, nothing else. A young girl with a tattoo and green hair walked over to me and asked, "What brings you in today, I looked at her and said, "I'm interested in buying a refrigerator." She didn't quite know how to respond, had that deer in the headlights look.” 

 

I was once in a shoe store in Boston. A young women who looked totally disinterested came over to wait on me. I told her what I wanted and she went behind me to get the size shoes I wanted. I heard fellow employee ask her how she liked her first week as a salesperson. She said, and this is the absolute truth, “I love it except for the customers.”  

 

The Answer: 

Who else but Anne Frank.  

 

With all my bickering and negativity, this is still a pretty great world with the vast majority of people being honest and giving and loving and hardworking and responsible and any number of other fine attributes. It just doesn't look that way when you read or hear the news.,  

 

Mr. Peanut to Mrs. Peanut: "Bye, Hon. I'll be back in a Jif". (Thanks to the TPL) 

 

And then, there is something like that. 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment