Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, August 13, 2010

Doin' What Comes Natur'lly.

Today's Tids Issue 2,196
Opening Stuff:

Nervous? On edge? Did you waken under a cloud of doom? Forget about Friday the 13th. It’s just a day. Actually it’s a good thing as it provides me with an easy opening for Today’s mess. Anything that makes my life easier is a good thing. Let’s look at it this way. The Stock Market will probably rebound this morning. Obama may do something stupid which will enhance the opportunity to replace Congress. We in New England are reveling over a pretty good pre-season kick-off for the Pats. Hey, the sun came up, the morning was cool and refreshing and as I walked over to pick up my paper I met a couple of good friends sipping their coffee in the park while walking the dog. And they were loving Friday the 13th morning…just like me.

Ground Zero mosque supporters seem to enjoy calling the 68% of Americans against it (27% for it) intolerant bigots. Jeez, how loving are these upholders of Freedom of Religion…who would probably be first in line to rip the Ten Commandments off the wall of a Court House. But I digress. After looking at pronouncements by Islamic leaders for the last ten or so years, it is fairly apparent that this is a religion that is most intolerant of any on this earth. For one thing, a feeling, loving religion would at least be sensitive to the hurt of the tens of thousands whose lives were destroyed in that hole around the corner.

Stat of the Week Department:
Illegal Aliens now make up 4% of the US population. Illegal Aliens account fro 8% of births in America. Do the math.

The Question:
The great American legend and sharpshooter Annie Oakley was born exactly 150 years ago today. She was made even more famous in a wonderful Broadway Musical and subsequent movie “Annie Get Your Gun”. Name five songs from AGYG.

The Headlines:
--Markets Cautious Before Opening Awaiting Before On Consumer Confidence.
--Germany Growth Pushes Eurozone GDP Rise.
--US Nabs al-Qaida Linked Taliban In Pakistan.
--Russia Plans To Load Fuel Into Iran’s First Nuclear Plant Next Week.
--Explorers/Scientists Pull Wooden Crate Of 100 Year Old Scotch From Arctic Ice.
--Cal Judge Keeps Prop 8 Gay Marriage Ban In Place For Six days Until Appeals Are Exhausted.
--Petraeus Hedges On July 2011 Afghan Pullback Goal.
--Pats Beat Saints 27-14.

Back to More Stuff:

A reader has two words for all of the readers who picked gin or vodka over chocolate – Chocolate Martini.

I may have jumped to conclusions after reading sensationalized headlines with respect to the “Flight Attendant” Jet Blue incident and pulled an Obama. It appears that today many  passengers are coming out against the “nation’s latest folk hero”; calling him outrageous and the obvious instigator of the uproar. But, that doesn’t change my mind about some of the rude selfish slobs masquerading as responsible citizens on airplanes. I still feel for the 99.99% of the attendants who quietly put up with irrational demands and behavior.

The Dalai Lama walked up to the hot dog vendor and said “Make me one with everything.”

Anything that smacks of alternative energy is so titillating to many that they forget about common sense and reason. For instance, the Pols in RI jumped aboard deep water windmill farms that would destroy the horizon of RI waters…and produce energy at a cost of 24.4 cents/KWH versus the current 9.5 cents. (And a promise to increase the wind power costs by 3.5 cents each year thereafter.) Lunacy. But, that seems to be the national trend these days.

I have it on expert authority that the best coffee across this great country of ours is Ocean State Roaster’s coffee as served at Jonathon’s Café in Newport RI.

Through the same eyes: Chapter 88: --It was only about ten minutes later when I heard a car slowly coming up the Whitaker’s gravel driveway. My heart leapt. I couldn’t freeze, not now. I darted across thee perfect lawn into a small but thick wooded area to the right of the yard. Within seconds of turning around, I saw Henry’s police car pull into the large turnaround area in front of the garage. Before I could shout, the front passenger side door popped open and Paul jumped out. He looked panicked. His head darted from my parked car to the yard and back woods. And then to Henry, “Where…” Before he finished I jumped and ran towards him.
“Paul, I’m here. I’m ok.” His head turned towards me and I saw an amazing look of loving relief cross his face. Some deep inside of me forced a stream of tears to flow down my cheeks as I now ran even faster towards him. And the huge arms enveloped my body. I never felt so safe. So loved. I just stood there. Molded to his body and strength.
“Sarah”. He didn’t say anything more. Because he was now crying too. Neither of us moved.
My head turned a little and I saw Henry standing there looking at our love. There was a beautiful, fatherly smile on his face. I knew he wanted to move us on. But, I think he sensed something important going on between two people. In love?

The US used to be a pretty civil place before magic markers, before protestors learned how to print.

Did you hear about the two antennas who got married? The wedding wasn’t much but the reception was great.

Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
Mediocrity reigns this week in movie-land with three that could find strong niche followings none of which would include me.
--Eat, Pray, Love is in fact a beautifully filmed, aging gracefully vehicle for Julia Robert’s next career as an older woman. She is a writer touring the world in search of what’s missing in her life in this “Under the Tuscan Sun” wanabee that is much too long and with too thin a plot. Woman will enjoy her journey. RI actor Richard Jenkins is outstanding.
--Scott Pilgrim will captivate teens with a knack for gaming. The film cleverly replicates a comic book delivery with word balloons and other illustrative techniques.
--The Expendables brings us back to muscle bound shoot em’ up action thrillers of the 80’s. In this one Sylvester Stallone is back with rippling biceps and in no holds barred attack mode as he and a bunch of testosterone laden pals bring down a South American drug lord dictator. But, it’s more about tattoos and abs. So much so that one scene of no relevancy brings together Stallone, Willis and Schwarzenegger. It’s nostalgia trip, pure and simple.
--But! There is one film out there that may be worth seeing. It is an biographical movie about Joan Rivers. Yes that Joan Rivers. The funny lady with the tragic life. It is far from a puff piece as Joan in an act of bravery well beyond anything that may come from Stallone…removes her make-up. And the camera shoots it all. It is a brilliant film that shows vividly the real extraordinarily completive world of entertainment. Check this one out.

The Jumper cable walked into a bar. The bartender looked at him and said, “I’ll serve you but don’t start anything.”

The Answer:
This is one of my all time favorite musicals. It’s a pretty good romantic tale, and the music as all hummable. With good lyrics as well. How about “There’s Now Business Like Show Business”, “Anything You Can Do”, “I Got he Sun in the Morning”, “The Girl That I Marry”, “Din What Comes Natur’lly” and “You Can’t Get a Man With a Gun”.

The Big Finale:

“The politics, the ocean, the novel, the puns…The readers who lift you up when you’re down; // The questions, the poetry, the heart strings, the news…The Dems who want to run you out of town. // The morning when your heart beats like a drum…Those closings when everything seems so dumb // There’s no business like Tids business like no business I know; Everything about it is fulfilling, But best are those who tell me Wow! // So here am I, stealing that extra bow!” (Stolen and paraphrased from There’s no business like Show Business.)

Thanks for being out there and occasionally opening up this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment