Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, August 20, 2010

We need a vacuum.

Today's Tids Issue  2,201
Opening Stuff:

I have nothing to do, and it feels good.

Here’s two good reasons to be cautious about the stock market: Last week and this week. Last week the Bulls out numbered the bears 40% to 30% with 30% neutral. This week the bears outnumber the bulls 43% to 30% with 27% neutral. Confused? I’m saying, wait ‘til September 15 to find out where the market might really be going. Summertime guessing sucks.

Funny Doormats Department:
“Please stay on the mat. Your visit is important to us and your knock will be answered in the order in which it was received”; “I’m really glad to see you. But then, I lie like a doormat”; “I will not be a doormat. I will not be a doormat. I will not be a doormat! Oh, just walk all over me.”; “This is not a joke. If you ever want to see these humans again, bring me a 5 pound rib roast in a plain paper bag. – The Dog”; And… “Nice Underwear!”

The Question:
A computer guy named John McLoone developed a program so his computer could play “Hangman” using all 90,000 words in the dictionary. Name five words that were considered toughest to solve. Clue: They weren’t oddball posers like benzodiazepine or onomatopoeia.

The Headlines:
--Alert Forest Ranger Observations Leads To Arrest Of Notorious Arizona Escapee And 1st Cousin/Fiancé.
--WS Futures Lower As Economy Woes Outpace Hopes Among Investors.
--Fidelity Reports Record Number Of “Hardship” Withdrawals From 401K Accounts In 2nd Quarter; Troubling Numbers Indicate Depth Of Economic Woes.
--Clements Indicted; Arrogance Catches Up With Former red Sox Princess.
--Palestine And Israel Considering Invitation To met In White House In Two Weeks; Admin Keeps Pre Election issues In Limelight.
--Kenya Unhappy With US Action To Grant Asylum To Obama Aunt; Says 0-Man Kin Never In danger As Implied By US Action.
--RI”s Giant Warwick Mall Re-Opens Almost 5 Months After Ravaging Spring Floods.

Back to More Stuff:
The Amazon River pushes so much water out into the Atlantic Ocean that, more than 100 miles out at sea from the mouth, one can dip fresh water out of the ocean! The volume of water in the Amazon River is greater than the next eight largest rivers in the world combined and three times the flow of all rivers in the United States Amazing. Hard to believe, isn’t it.

I think this whole thing about the world’s richest people pledging to give away half their fortune smacks of public opinion extortion.

Just as the lawyers began to run dry with new cases from the oil spill, the Gov. recalls 380 Billion Eggs. “Tummy hurt? Join Our Class Action Suit.”

The defense attorney wanted the plaintiff to settle down!

The Muslims and their supporters are being very unchristian-like in their condemnation of people who are sensitive about building a mosque next to the Twin tower burial ground.

Did you hear about the former electrician turned baseball player who is now putting fear into the hearts of pitchers because he can socket?

With emails and tweets becoming so common, are the words “letter”, “note” or “memo” becoming obsolete. Are all emails just emails or are some letters, some notes and some memos? Or are Tweets memos or notes and emails letters. I don’t need any more information.

Do you think Tweets will ever replace Shakespeare’s Sonnets? Nah!

As far as I’m concerned, a good old fashioned pitchfork is still one of the handiest tools in the shed.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 90: It was a cozy little gathering in Henry’s cramped office. Maybe the town could afford a little more for our valiant protector. I smiled to myself. I loved that man. “Ok,” I heard his gruff voice breaking into my reverie, “let’s get this thing going.” I looked around the table and saw Paul and Sally snap to attention. “You wouldn’t believe the amount of information falling into our collective laps. The good news is that the FBI, State Police and other assorted law groups trust me, so I’m in charge of working with you.”
“So, Henry, where are we,” I heard Paul ask.
“First, the state police don’t really believe that Bromsky killed himself. And just that fact, or at least observation, alone points towards a potential widespread conspiracy. Add to that your,” he looked at me, “near brush with death in an accident which you told us was definitely caused by another driver. There’s just too much going on.”
I butted in. “I remember Kent told me once that scientists say there are no coincidences!”
“Let’s talk about Middleton for a minute. He was very helpful with our little vandalism thing. And we know now that it was just a mask for the bigger event of taking teens for testing…to put it mildly.” He looked at me. “But while Middleton was…” I wish he would call him Kent I thought…”quite helpful and insightful, he actually had the most to gain from everything. And motive is motive no matter who it is.”
I started feel bad for Kent. I shouldn’t be feeling like this. I looked at Paul and he smiled lovingly at me.

Reading Between the Lines Movie Reviews:
--The Switch looks like yet another in a long tedious series of Jennifer Anniston romantic comedy vehicles. Wait a minute. isn’t that what we all want…simple happy romance. Well, this one is a little weird. The Switch is about denoted sperm. Jennifer announces she is having a baby, but as a modern woman, she doesn’t need a man. But, she needs sperm (How dumb this sound?) Basically, a ”Good Friend” wannabee boyfriend (Jason Bateman) switches his sperm with the sperm of her choice. Six years later, Jennifer and boy return from Minn to NYC and she learns about daddy. What a crazy world we live in.
--The lottery is about a poor guy from the project’s winning $370 million. Obviously changing his living and encouraging the emergence of hangers-on, criminals and more family and friends than he ever knew existed. It is above all a comedy. But has moments of real emotion as he and his best friend see what is happening around them. However the majority of the film is slapstick. And probably a little too much for me.
--Nanny McPhee Returns is by far the best of this week’s lot. Emma Thompson wrote it and plays the lead warts and all in this wonderful tale about the magical nanny. The plot is great and the characters are terrific. Adults will enjoy it.

Looking for an eBookReader Department: A techno-person who predicted the demise of the Kindle now feels he may have been premature. He says now…”I like reading on the iPad, especially in bed at night and in other places where the device's back-lighting comes in handy. So far, it hasn't bothered my eyes at all, unlike the indistinct pages of the Kindle. But the Kindle is better outdoors.” He goes on: “I also suspect there may be a place for a dedicated reading device. When I opened the iPad to read a book, I'm confronted with a dizzying array of options, from the latest episode of "Mad Men" to the current action in Asian stock markets. Is this information overload? Too often I find myself distracted by information I don't really need.” Your choice.

Oskar Eustis is the former head of the Trinity Rep in Providence and now leads the NY City’s esteemed Public Theater. In a recent New Yorker story it was revealed that he was raised by a mom and dad who were avowed, unabashed communists. Hmm. I have seen a lot of plays directed by him. Now how I have to think back about how my mind may have been infected. If ideologues or foreign governments want to take over our country and minds of citizens, maybe they should place their moles in the theater or Hollywood instead of Governments. They’d blend right in in.

The Answer:
After simulating 15 Million games the hardest word of all was “Jazz”. The next nine were Buzz, Jazzed, Hajj, Jazzy, Buzzed, Jazzing, Fizz, Fuzz, Buzzing. Depending on some mathematical thing I didn’t understand, depending how many games you played other words jumped up including, Faff, Vex, Fox, Fax, Babes and Mom. Babes? Mom? Anyhow, the key for you is that now you have new ammunition enabling you to beat the children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren at Hangman. Of course Moms will be saddened if they don’t get Mom right a way..

Have a simple Weekend:
I’m not going to try to figure out the rest of the word any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment