Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Where’s Hopalong Cassidy when we need him?



Today's Tids Issue 3,372
Opening Stuff:


America continues its journey into the Asylum as the term “Micro-aggression” becomes popular on Campuses. Micro-aggression is applied to the use of familiar statements like “America is the land of opportunity” and “Everybody can succeed in this society of they work hard”. Or, “The most qualified person should get the job”. Psychologists say it is insulting to people who “Don’t understand what they mean.” You think maybe they’re teaching the wrong thing in some schools. These statements were first defined at Columbia U and furthered as contemptible at the UCal. Where else? God help us.

The Jennifer Garner/Ben Afleck split just shows you that a sensible West Virginia realist can’t get along with a Boston liberal.

Repub candidate Opinion Update, Department:
I’d like to see Ben Carson make a little more noise in the New Hampshire polls. He could easily be one of the best of all candidates – smart, sensible and easily appealing ot a broad range of people, though perhaps a little too Micro-aggressive! (That means he tells the truth so sorely needed in the USA). I would vote for him. Second looks at Marco Rubio has me thinking he is looking a little too young, and more importantly, humorless -- especially when replying to tougher questions.. I would also like to see Carly get some traction, as she appeals to my sense of reality. She and Ben seem to get buried in the excitement surrounding the announcements of more gregarious characters like Donald and Christie. And wow, did Trump build an Army fast. (His Mexico comments were basically stupid). Jebster continues to the right things, in a well orchestrated march to the nomination. In the polls for Iowa, Quinnipiac has it Walker 18, Carson 10, Trump 10, Paul 9, Cruz 9, Bush 8, Rubio 7and the rest 5 or below. For the overall nomination, CNN has it Bush, Trump, Carson, Huck, Paul.

I am totally not surprised by the uprisings and new aggression from Muslim Brotherhood sympathizers in Egypt. It was just a matter of time before the Egyptian Military’s war against former President Morsi was avenged. Why does the media and often the White House always act so surprised at these incidents. This is the Middle East for crissakes. It is not logical but entirely predictable.

The Question:
Quick now, who was the man who flew with Amelia Earhart on her last flight lost somewhere in the Pacific, probably near Hwland Island? Bonus: Name the top shows from the pen of writer, director, comedian Larry David?

The Headlines:
--Greek Hesitation May Have Stocks Seeking Neutrality Til Popular Vote.
--US Turning Military Eyes Toward China and Russia; Pentagon Sees New Aggressive Moves By Giant Countries.
--New Data Says ISIS May Have 42 Million Supporters In Arab Countries.
--Iran Talks Dragging On Into New Deadlines.
--Episcopalians Vote To Allow Gay Weddings In Churches.
--100 Plus Dead In New Skirmishes Between Egypt And Militants; ISIS Executes 74 Children For Various Crimes Including Refusal To Fast.
--North Carolina Beach: 7th Victim In A Month Bitten By Shark.
--Illinois Looking At Its Own Greek Style Meltdown.
--DoJ Investigating Airlines For Possible Collusion That Keeps Fares High.

Hillary in her explanation of personal emails said there was “No Classified material”. Yesterday the State Department withheld some of Hillary’s emails based on their containing “Classified material”. That ole’s rascal wouldn’t be trying to fool us again, would she?

What is so hard to understand about having to cut back on spending when there is no money to pay for it? Greeks would consider that statement, “Micro-aggression”!

Ok, the mass murders that Charleston church was horrific, inhuman, beyond belief for sane civilized people. But, now 0-Man has quickly authorized a $29 Million payout to victims. I had never realized that US citizens had such great Government sponsored life insurance. I’d better check my Citizenship Policy.

It’s sounds kind of humorous to read that Macy’s is going to stop yelling Donald trump’s underwear. Hasn’t he been washing it before sending it over? I wonder if it is suitable for framing.

I get the feeling that there will be a lot of Rebel flags flying at the Daytona races this weekend.

I’m glad ISIS wasn’t around when I was growing up. I could have been executed for not eating my peas. And, you wouldn’t have the Tids. Peas have played a big role in the development of my life.

Political Madness, Department:
Ok, the Kurds seem to this humble observer from afar as the most effective military operation against ISIS. Yet, the US won’t send weapons they need directly to them, and have asked Arab nations to avoid doing the same. In typical inefficient government fashion, the US Admin wants the weapons to go to through Baghdad for redistribution to the Kurds. Insane.

A Wall Street guru is predicting “5 Forever Investments”. The use of the word “Forever” already makes the analysis suspect before reading it. Forever” is a long time! Every day somebody creates a new category of stocks to watch and buy, which is often meaningless. The five “Forever” stocks are good dividend stocks – HCP Inc, Williams Partners (Energy), Unilever, Agrium and Consolidated Edison, just in  case you are interested. Maybe he should call them “In my lifetime stocks”.

The Parking Lot. Chapter Two.
It’s been about a week now, and I felt good enough to drive up to Tiverton. I waited til my wife left for one of her daily routines, then I snuck down into the garage, got my car and was on my way to an adventure. I was feeling good about having a mission with more consequences than learning about 40’s movie stars in a local lecture series. My pain had subsided nicely, and I thought I was going to make it through the day. I had spent the week recuperating, but not idle. There was a time when I was pretty good ant drawing people, so I managed to recreate a sketch of what I remembered about the face of the nervous woman. It could be helpful as I began my quest.
   The island looked as pretty as ever as I neared the northern tip, ready to catapult across the bridge to a land where some locals had never ventured – off island!
  The Historic Tiverton was a mixed bag of a town, from Fall River fringe neighborhoods to country eloquent. The downtown on the northern end of the Sakonnet River, which has always looked like a large Bay to me, was a pleasant little space that seemed lost in the past. The kind of town I like. Some of the families here, and I’ve done some business with them, go back to the early settlers who came over from Plymouth. This part of RI was actually considered part of the Plymouth colony. I always thought that the walk between Plymouth and here seemed pretty long for me, but would work well today to beef up my Fit bracelet.
  The little coffee shop was on the waters side of the short, pretty much non descript main drag. There were several marine businesses, a bank and a convenience store, all on a high bluff above marinas and moorings. The “Coffee Jolt” was a nice looking place with some tables out front just a couple of feet from the curbless street. I squeezed into a small a parking space, turned off the engine and opened the folder next to me, pulling out the sketch. Are you still alive? I felt my body tense.

The Answer:
It was Fred J. Noonan riding along side friend Amelia Earhardt when her plane fell out of the sky, never to be found. Bonus: Larry David made it really big, as you probably know, with Seinfeld. He used that popularity to write the irreverent show starring him, Curb Your Enthusiasm”. He started his career as a stand-up and then as a writer for  a program “Friday’s”, which starred Michael Richards. From there he hooked up with  SNL where he played roles and wrote. There he only had one sketch that made it to Prime time. But there he also met key character #2 for his big one – Julia Louis-Dreyfus. He also wrote a movie that went nowhere -- Sour Grapes. A British list of the world’s greatest comedians has him ranked 23.

The tourists are upon us and there is no escape. It’s hermit time.


No comments:

Post a Comment