Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

You just never know what load a body carries.


Today's Tids Issue 3,375 
Opening Stuff:

People are already talking about “Dog days of summer”. Isn’t that usually in Mid-August? The urgency to complain is a growing national pastime and it isn’t pretty.

Everybody is saying that today’s digital children are entirely different from kids of the past. Yet, I was sitting on the beach yesterday and saw little boys racing form the ocean lugging big pails of water, pouring it into holes they had dug, and wondering, as I did and my dad did, where the water went. I saw brothers and sisters building castles and digging tunnels, exactly as had been done for eons. Dads and Moms carried smiling, laughing kids into the surf; moms performed magical youthful ballets on the hard packed low tide sand to the delight of children; dads winced as they tried to kit a ball to an eager child. Waves smacked down kids, and parents laughed as the children got up, determined, and went back for more. Just as had been done, ages and ages before.

I was playing golf with a good friend yesterday morning, a retired army officer. He turned and said, “Tomorrow will be 43 years.” My brow furrowed. “Forty three years ago tomorrow I lost my first three men in battle. I think of them every day. Today his dreadful memories are intensified. “I try to get to the ‘Wall’ in Washington as often as I can,” he said quietly. I don’t know about you, but I’m saying a little prayer for all of those not remembered like the three forever in my friends mind.

The Question:
Double Q Day! 1. Ringo Starr, it is said by more and more, was the glue that made the Beatles sound work. He also sang solo insome of their biggest hits of the Sixties. The man in the background had a couple of hit songs of his own in the seventies. Name those where he was lead singer in both eras. 2. One of America’s great authors of America is Robert McCullough. Name three of his books.

The Headlines:
--US markets May Open Stronger As they See Greek Summit On the Horizon.
--Greeks Vote To Continue On The Dole. “No Vote, Called No Vote At All”.
--Formerly Sealed Court Documents Show Cosby Admitting To Drugging Women For Sex.
--Over 26 Million Watched USA Women Win It All.
--Hillary Camp Worried About Bernie Sanders Momentum In Iowa.
--USA Asks The Question: Are Sanctuary Cities” Liable For Acts Of Murdering Illegal Immigrants?
--Wedding Cake Bakers Still Angered Over Ruling That “Infringes On Religeous Freedom”.
--US Jets Scrambled On July 4th To Intercept Russian Bombers Off Coast Of Alaska.
--CDC Official Dealing With Illegal Immigrants, George Roark, Calls President Worst Ever And Marxist. He And Agency Public Health Advisor William Adams Agree That No Responsible Country Would Act In the Manner Of Obama’s Edicts.

The people of Greece have basically voted to keep a failing culture alive. That’s the problem with smothering central government where politicians gain votes by giving away more that the economy can afford. It’s even more prevalent in the USA. Grants entitlements public works projects and more are “presented to the voters” as gifts from kindly elected officials, and the people suck it up. Of course, all it is the tax money of the voters now compounded, encumbered by extensive inefficient Federal agency costs and the huge cost of borrowed money to build up the “Gifts”. It is possible that if the money were left in the states, and the states could actually find good money managers, and people only got what they could actually afford, then federal debt could be non-existent. It’s just a giant Pavlov’s dogs trick, which has citizens salivating for more, thinking that the Feds have some unexplained golden egg in a vault somewhere. That’s what happened to Greece and what could easily happen here – if you just look at how your state is struggling to pay off promises that should never have been made.

Brock Holt (Of the Boston Red Sox) is a great enthusiastic guy, a hustle guy, a talented player, and I am literally thrilled to see him selected for the All Star game.

Brock Holt is an interesting reflection on USA Society at large. The reason Brock doesn’t play as much as he should is because he isn’t paid enough. The management has to play often lesser players with bloated contracts. It’s like many aspects of our modern world where money is too big. One hit authors get big contracts and we have to see mediocre books flooding the market. Actors look good once, get the long term big money, and they become little more than a billboard name with meager other substance. In business a man with a title is ofttn looked at for answers he cannot deliver, or credited for mediocrity, which is why he or she has aids. I could go on, but you get the picture. I just look at the person and forget the accoutrements.

I ate for the first time at a Providence RI restaurant called Rue De L’Espoir about 37 years ago, about a year and a half after it opened. I always found it inventive even if they often were too focused on vegetables and other weird looking stuff. It was a comfortable place, but in a month it will be a fond memory. It’s sad to see the institutions go. But they always do. The Rue was ahead of its time.

While I’m patting that Providence East Side giant on the back, I have to say that I still think Benefit Street in that capitol town is one of the most beautiful stretches of meaningful architectural history in the Country. Saying this, I’m thinking I should pick out cities around the country, your cities, and extol there singular virtues. If you have something you feel special about your town or area, let me know. I’ll gussy it up and send it along to Tidsville.

“Zoo” may be pretty accurate after all. Animals could be taking  over the world. Over the weekend a couple was seen behind my house walking their giant Afghan dog. Upon arriving at their giant Suburban SUV, the man opened the door, and pulled out a metal ramp. The dog trotted on up, the ramp was re-stowed, and the pet was spared the grief of climbing in.

The Parking Lot. Chapter 3
I was feeling contented as I moved my car down the street to a small strip mall, the only sign of general shopping in the tiny town. Well, my taste buds and stomach were satisfied, but my mind was still craving satisfaction. I looked out at the six stores, in a relatively better than average looking strip, less hastily built than many. Of course there was the convenience store, but clerks in there are usually from out of town and always profess knowing nothing. I’m looking for somebody local and smart like my new favorite waitress, who knows a lot but isn’t as reluctant. There was a tailor shop, branch of a Providence exterminator, bait shop, Liquor store and a fish market.
  I decided to start with the Liquor store. My mystery woman looked like she could have used a drink after that night behind my place. I’m always telling myself stupid jokes. Better than boring other people I figure.
  The store was small and typical, somewhat disheveled with a Vodka special display just inside the front door. I would only buy Vodka on special. There was kid in the corner stocking shelves but no one at the counter. Probably sneaking a drink out back, I accused. I walked over to the kid, gaunt, messy looking hair, but his eyes saying, I’m more intelligent than I look. “The owner in, “ I asked.
  “He’s out back doin’ somethin’.”
  “Somethin’, I replied. The kid smiled and stood up tall, instantly shrinking my stature. The kid looked eager so I figured I’d ask him about the sketch while waiting for the owner to finish doin’ somethin’. “ I pulled out the sketch. “Ever see this woman around here?”
  “You a cop?” Then a gray shield slid down covering his eyes as if he was finished talking.
  “Is that a yes or a no?”
  “I got a keep on working.” He turned and squatted back down to his box of bottles. I felt taller instantly, but now quite empty. What is going on here?
 

The Answer:
1. You all probably remember that Ringo sang Yellow Submarine. His other “Beatles “ singles were  Don’t Pass Me By, With a Little Help From My Friends, What Goes On, Act Naturally, Good Night, Octopus’s Garden, I Wanna be Your Man, Boys and Honey Don’t. The number one “Post Sixties” Ringo solo was “It Don’t Come Easy” then rest down to Ten are Back Off, Boogaloo, The Photograph, Blindman, Goodnight Vienna, The No-No Song, I Am The Greatest, Snookeroo, Early 1970 and Devil Woman. 2. David McCullough is a truly wonderful writer and is abut to give us i=his new one The Wright Borthers. John Adams is considered won of the great biographies. 1776 was riveting. He also wrote Truman (Not Capote), The Johnston Flood, The Great Bridge, The well rewarded Path Between the Seas, Mornings On Horseback and Brave Companions. Of course, I keep thinking that McCullough wrote Nathanial Philbrick’s Mayflower.

Hope you are loving your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment