Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Overdressed.

 


Today's Tids Issue 8,424

Past the Platitudes:

 

Administrations may change but the sun always glistens off of cold ocean waters. And that’s really what it’s all about, anyhow.

 

Why is the third hand on a watch called a second hand?

 

Lady Gaga has a brilliant, rich deep voice. Unfortunately, she may be remembered most for dressing oddly. Isn’t it unfortunate how promoters mold personalities for cash sales, when there is talent within that sparkles brighter, far beyond the crowd?  

 

From “Shoe” this morning: Youngster -- “Was the depression scary?” Oldster: “Not as scary as if Cable news had covered it.” (And network News) I think that says a lot about today’s society, and frankly, why the divide is so wide.

 

The thought on Wall Street now is that generally rising markets could face a nerve rattling dip mid-year before recovering by years end.

 

The Question:

Who was the first Poet ever to be asked to recite at an Inauguration Ceremony? Bonus: Name all other Inauguration Day poets.

 

The Headlines:

--Markets Open Higher, Even As New Jobless Claims Stay Above 900,000; Homebuilding Activity Remains Very Strong.

--Eli Lilly Sais T It Has Drug That Could Prevent Covid.

--$730 Million Winning Power Ball ticket sold in Maryland.

--Amazon to Help Biden With Covid Vaccine Distribution.

--Senate Continues With Cabinet Approval; Buttigieg On Tap Today.

 

The Rhode Island government is like a guy pressing harder on a remote control when he knows the batteries are dead.

 

From this perch, it sems to this old bird that the Left looks at elections primarily as filling quotas.

 

A lot of people are raving about the young poet, so I don’t have to add anything to that.

 

So far, The Tids-Pickers are 7-3 In Playoff selections. I may have gone a little emotional with my Cleveland pick, but they showed up and played well. Just two games left for this weekend. I think that the TB-GB is getting harder to decide because suddenly the Tom Brady factor is creeping into my mind and muddying my braincells. GB’s Aaron Rogers, another super QB is looking really good this season, but does he have that winner gene that has been prevalent for so many years in Brady? I think Green Bay will take it. The other game is shaping up to be another exciting affair. The big question is the concussion of Patrick Mahomes. Maybe I should wait til Saturday to pick this one. But the Tids-Picker Office will be closed. Comments from the KC camp on Mahomes have been mixed. His playing is supposedly solely in the hands of Docs. I think he will play, but for how long. Buffalo as found a way to win. They have to get back to their running game to take pressure off of their own super young QB. My heart is with Buffalo, but I believe there is just too much overall talent on KC. I’ll pick them. I really don’t want to. Maybe I’ll change my mind by tomorrow. I still have tomorrow.

 

If a word is misspelled in a dictionary, how would we ever know?

 

I was thinking this morning about how far printing has come in the past decades from the mid 1950’s, from copper plates to offset to digital printing that can float through the air. I and was thinking of all the master craftsmen who were so necessary but are no longer needed. We used to have great industries that were loaded with mechanical geniuses. What are all the master craftspeople doing now.  

 

Have you noticed how Dems fall in love with poets? After Clinton’s inauguration it was Maya all the time and now it will be Amanda. Actually, I have used Maya quotes in here, so maybe I’ll find something interesting from Amanda.

 

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

 

New jobless benefit claims are coming at us in record style numbers, yet the stock market keeps going up. I’m thinking that that the stocks are sitting upon a spongy foundation.

 

The Answer:

The first ever poet to recite was invited by John Kennedy. It was Robert Frost. At first bis original effort for the event flopped, so a he read another tried and true ode. Bonus: Jimmy Carter was next to invite a Poet, James Dicky. But Dicky was axed from the noontime schedule. He read it later at the Kennedy Center. Maya Angelou was eh choice of Bill Clinton for his first Inn inauguration. Miller Williams was there for the repeat in 1991. Barak Obama chose Elizabeth Alexander for Number 1, and Richard Blanco for #2. And yesterday we had Amanda Gorman.

 

If I’m ever elected President, I will stop the drought for Repubs, I will invite a poet. My choice will be Ogden Nash. I think our nation needs Ogden Nash.

 

I remember Amanda Gordon for yellow jacket with a red hat. I’d better read her poem so I can remember her for her talent.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment