Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Cool nights and searing memories.

 


Today's Tids Issue 4,985

Eleven Days:

 

Happy September, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y!!  Aah September. I always wait for September during the hot, crowded months of the summer. I hear in the distance bands warming up to welcome players to jammed football stadiums. And old mills chomping away grinding fresh picked apples into golden cider. It is all about signaling what is to come as we begin to see shorter days and more dying cornstalks. Yet along the way we will observe a very solemn moment, especially this year as we remember those how perished needlessly in that barbaric attack on innocents twenty years ago. I will never forget that blue skied September morning watching the second plane ram into the tower. I seem to remember every minute of that saddest of days. So, happy September everybody. It’s ok to shed a tear, or a a river of them. It’s ok to thank the police and fire depigments and all responders who rushed in to save lives. It’s ok to think about apple cider and marching bands. because we always go on even as we never forget.

 

This looks like a perfectly delightful rainy Wednesday to me.

 

I dub today National Head Scratching Day. That is for all of you NFL fans across the nation trying to sort out the cuts and additions to your favorite team’s roaster after yesterday’s most traumatic day of the year, Cut Down Day. My biggest quandary, not that you should care, is how my Pats proceed with just one QB, a rookie at that. Yikes.

 

A pair of bifocals stopping a pair of reading glasses from making a mistake is a corrective lens.

 

The Question:

Name Barry Gibbs and the BeeGees greatest hits.

 

The Headlines:

--Stars Aligning On September 1st As All Markets Open Up; Yet Potential For Pullback Increases; Expectations Rise For Increased Private Sector Employment Additions To Bounce From July Disappointing Low of 330K To August Estimate Of 638,000.

-- Consumer Confidence Index In August Drops To Lowest Level Since Feb 2021; Delta Variant Major Cause Of Diminished Expectations.

-- Taliban Show Off Captured US Weapons At Kandahar Victory Parade; Take Control Of Airport; Taliban Leaders Now Faced With Immense Task Of Governing Impoverished Nation.

--US Landlords Owed Billions; Evections Expected To Jump; Goldman Sachs Estimates 3.5 Million Households Could Lose Home.

--US Navy Helicopter Crashes Off San Diego;

--Stronger Winds Now Blowing Fire Closer To Now Abandoned City Of South Lake Tahoe.

--Some NO Customers Gete Back Power; But Gov Edwards Says Many Could Be Out Of Power For Over A Month; 95 Degre Temps Plus High Humidity Threaten AC-Less Region.

--Mike Richards Out As Exec Producer For Jeopardy And Wheel Of Fortune.

 

It is not hard to believe that Zoom is not the growth stock to buy right now.

 

I’d watch Jeopardy if a computer was asking the questions. Latching onto a great contestant is what makes it fun.

 

A bull walking into a china shop is perpetuating an idiom, while a young goat going into a candy shop is taking advantage of a homonym.

 

Here’s an ad headline I’ll never respond to: “How to make celery juice without a juicer”. Yikes!

 

AGT (Read if you like napping): Bonk again Last Night it was hard to get over-the-top excited about the AGT acts. This group of eleven featured 5 singers and I tried to measure them against the best of AI and The Voice. The 10-year-old Peter Rosalita was amusing but in the end he was just yelling at me. I personally liked the song and presence of Tory Vagasy, and I would listen to her again. I thought that Madilyn Baily was a talented performer and seemed in tune with today’s generations. Not my favorite music, but opposed to Mandel’s myopic opinion, I thought she did very well. The Korean Soul was underwhelming when compared to their previous performance. But there is no doubt that singer Jimmie Herrod was legit, the real thing and could win any singing contest on TV or anywhere. Of the other acts, I though 16-year-old aerialist Aiden Bryant was excellent and quite the showman. I liked the magic trick of Dustin Tavella but the act wasn’t that entertaining.  I would have rejected sound effects man Miachel Winslow last week – clever but not for me. Youthful dance group Beyond Belief were bubbly, but I wouldn’t pay to see them. I saw World Taekwondo Demonstration last week and again last night, and once was definitely enough. It’s about that Comedian Gina Brillion who got raves from the inane judges… aren’t comedians supposed to tell jokes? I’m still waiting. I have trouble picking the five who will remain but it will probably be Aiden, and Jimmie for sure. Taekwondo will make it and maybe the comedian(?) just because she was so hyped. Maybe Dustin for his good magic trick. I would pick Tory because she entertained me. Frankly I just don’t know.

 

I think you would have to be drunk to sit back and let an AI controlled car take you for a ride.

 

Do you think perhaps that Mike Richards is ruing the day he decided to step up into the spotlight and vie for the celebrity of Jeopardy hosting? It seems that the worst thing you ca do in modern society is expose yourself to the vast and sniping internet society.

 

My measurement is who would I pay to see. And so far my wallet hasn’t opened an inch.  I would listen to a couple of the singers for free, though.

 

I wish they would bring back some TV programs like Homeland and “24”. Maybe NCIS will return with more stories about intrigue and fewer family backstories.

 

One of those sad things in our society is the looting that seems to occur regularly during catastrophic events, like what is now being reported post Ida. Kick ‘em while they’re down.

 

The Answer:

The Bee Gees Rank Third Among Groups for Most Hot 100 No. 1s in History. I liked the Bee Gees before they became a disco rage, first getting to know them with “To Love Somebody” and the beautiful “Words”. Ok, according to the critics their greatest hits are #10 -- Too much Heaven, and now on the way down to #1 we have at #9 Massachusetts, then Night Fever, New York Mining Disaster 1941, How Deep is Your Love, Words, Tragedy, Stayin’ Alive, I’ve Got to Get a Message to You, and at #1 – You Should be dancing. How about, “How Do You Mend a Broken Heart”? Or “To Love Somebody”?

 

Happy September E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y!

 

I only have words. That’s what I do:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+tube+bee+gees+%22Words%22&view=detail&mid=D185FC675D0744B453F5D185FC675D0744B453F5&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fform%3dMOZLBR%26pc%3dMOZI%26q%3dyou%2btube%2bbee%2bgees%2b%2522Words%2522

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment