Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, March 3, 2023

Somewhere. Somehow.

 


Today's Tids Issue 5,376 

Beyond Reasonable:

 

 

A Boston radio station went all out to get an expert opinion on the outcome of the Murdaugh trial and verdict. Yes, they went to OJ Simpson, a guy who knows and probably got away with a gruesome murder. Go to the celebrity, regardless. It is the American way. 

 

I walked around town yesterday reading menus in the windows of restaurants. Now there is a good inflation index. Actually, I found a couple of restaurants that looked interesting. I should get out more. 

 

I personally feel that the economy has outpaced the population. It is a serious problem. To some making a far better than average living, it’s buy and overpay as usual. But the problem is in the all-important “Swath”, that huge middle to, yes upper, who used to be able to afford whatever they needed. And now it appears that their lives are all about sacrifice and compromise, and I am talking about necessities. What used to seem like really great salaries are now bare minimums. I think the economy has become too rich for Americans, and in bigger cities, almost out of reach. 

 

It's not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end. 

 

The Question: 

What do you think are the highest Inflation increases by categories for the year ending in Jan 2023? (Bureau of Labor Statistics) 

 

The Headlines: 

--Markets Continue Comeback; Costco Says Some Prices are Beginning to Fall. 

--Murdaugh Found Guilty of Murder; Sentenced to Life Without Possibility of Parole. 

--Ukraine Orders Partial Evacuation of Kupiansk as Russian Invasion to Retake City Mounts. 

--Belgian Mother Who Killed Her Five Children 16 Years Ago Has Been Euthanized. 

--Real News Takes Day Off. 

 

Murdaugh. Murder? Hmmm Do you think he will ask for an appeal because the sound of his name may have influenced the jury? 

 

In my lifetime I dealt with a lot of Marketing managers and even CEOs who boasted of new record sales years, and it was often only because they raised prices. I never admired those guys and gals. I admired the people who created new ideas, introduced new concepts, new ways to grow without having to raise prices. Who did a better job, worked harder to take market share. It was hard. 

 

I got a haircut yesterday. I went to my usual place and hadn’t seen this barber before. A nice younger man beckoned me to his chair. Somehow began talking about how the younger generations will be in a cyber info world, lightyears beyond my imagination. He said, “I’m just 21”. I assumed he was older because he was so professional cutting my hair, He added, “I’m a student at Roger Williams University. And Architectural major.” I said, “how do you become a barber at such a young age,” thinking his dad or grandfather maybe had a barbershop in Bangor Maine where he was from. He said, “Well when I was about 15, I googled haircuts and found these videos on You Tube. And I just watched them and practiced on anybody daring enough to sit in my chair. And now it’ s helping me pay my way through college.” I have ot say it was one of the best haircuts I ever had, And to as extra bonus, he as a good Red Sox fan. 

 

So, that is the new era we live in. Kids are learning stuff faster than we can imagine. And in ways we never dreamed of. 

 

My math teacher called me average. How mean! 

 

From a way back in my days in catholic grammar school, I never forgot one nun telling me to never let anybody ever call you average.  

 

The redo of West Side Story is coming to the big RI city of Providence. I have always loved that show. How can you not love a show that has a song called “Somewhere. Somewhere, there is a place for us. Someday a time for us. Hold my hand and we’re halfway there.” Sorry. The lyrics just seem to flow. 

 

The Answer: 

Number one is Fuel Oil at 27.7%. Next is Natural gas at 26.7%. The rest in order are Energy Services (15.7), transportation services (14), Electricity (11.9), Used cars and trucks (11.6), Food at home (11.2 3), All food (10.2), Rent (8.6), Food away from Home (8.3), Shelter (7.9), (Average of all Itemsis 6.4%), New vehicles 5.8), Alcohol (5.8), All items less food and energy (5.6), Medical care commodities (3.4), Apparel (3.1), Medical Care Services (3). 

 

Food at restaurants around here seem a lot higher than 8.3% 

 

Somehow, “Somewhere” is on my mindOr is it somehow, somewhere there is something in my mind.  

 

Have a great weekend, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y!! 

I just had to play it. But it is a nice way to ease into the weekend. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment