Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, December 14, 2023

12 Drummers just walked in

 


Today's Tids Issue 5,404 

Exercise is Medicine: 

 

Wall Street is so happy today that they have sent the street’s best analysts into a darkened room to come up with reasons to support a massive sell-off next Monday. 

  

From our TPL: An Orangutan was sitting in his enclosure in the zoo. In one hand he held the Holy Bible, and in the other Darwin’s, 'On the Origin of Species'. “I can’t figure it out.” He thought. “One says I’m my brother’s keeper, and the other says I’m my keeper’s brother!” 

 

Don’t Repub leaders know that it is less than a year until they can vote out Biden using the American way.  

 

But the worst thing being discussed in the bowels of the US government is the idea of this wealth tax. Maybe that is the worst idea in the history of America. One person's wealth is another person's basic ability to buy groceries. The vast majority of Americans do not have cushy taxpayer funded government pensions. 

 

The Question: 

What was the name of the word processing software that came along around 1987 to do battle with Microsoft's Word? 

 

The Headlines: 

--Wall Street Ecstatic. 

--Congress Approves Massive Record $886 Billion Military Budget; Some will Go to Ukraine. 

--Putin Holds Multi Hour News Conference on his Aims for Ukraine. 

--Israel Vows to Fight On; Deadly Hamas Ambush Surprises Israel Military, Reveals Resiliency of Hamas; Two High Ranking Israel Officers Killed. 

--Covid Variant Taking Off as Christmas Holidays Approach.  

--13-Year-Old Boy Accused of Planning Mass Shooting at Ohio Synagogue; 2-Year-Old Girl Accidently Shoots and Kills Self 

 

Hey, I forgot “soft flour” in my Q answer yesterday. It is the best for making yummy biscuits. It is made from soft red winter wheat. A White Lily brand of that is an enriched self-rising flower that is a must for flaky southern biscuits. Tomorrow, we make Pork sausage gravy.  

 

This has been one of the toughest TidsPickin’ years ever. We were 8-7 last week bringing us to 126-81. Yikes! (61%) I don’t think this week looks like a salvation week at all with a host of also rans with similar records playing for wildcards. Some of the big hitters have games that they may overlook. Btw, where did those Jets come from last week. Prime must be steaming instead of streaming as for the second Thursday in a row they are mired with the bummer of the week -- QB-Less Chargers and Las Vegas. Gadzooks, Jeff Bezos! I’ll pick LV. Surprisingly the games to come are almost all somewhat meaningful. And there are trap games aplenty. Like KC against NE. I'm picking the Pats. I know, Stupid to run with your heart. Minn/Cinn is interesting. They both still have chances. I've been impressed with Cinn as a team hanging together minus the super QB. I pick them. Pitt and Indy are tied, and wins will be important. I go Indy. Detroit is an enigma. I love what Denver has put together. I'll go Broncs. Atlanta needs this win and should beat Carolina. But who knows this year. Chi at Cleve is a little like Atlanta too. Ulike Carolina, Chi is awakening, but the Browns are solid. Ill stay with my Brownies.  

 

To soften this haze of grey, I am splitting this report for no other reason than to make reading this crap less daunting. Tenn looked formidable last week, and Houstin looked like what Husto was last year. Tough pick here, but I'll go with the Titans’ rookie. The Giants are playing for pride, and New Orleans has a shot. But I'll pick the Giants. I don’t care about TB/GB. I'll take the Pack because I like cheese. The Jets have nowhere to go but saving the coaches job maybe as an incentive., But Miami will rebound. The only easy pick of the week is San Fran taking down Arizona. And maybe the Rams retiring the Commanders. Philly has stumbled, but so has Seattle, Philly has more talent. Baltimore and Jax is game of the week #2. I have to stay with the Ravens even though Jax really needs this win and Lawrence will be healthier. The #1 game of the week is Dallas, who looked flawless last week, against Buffalo I which is showing incredible tenacity. Josh is playing great. I'm picking the Bills.   

 

Did you ever sit before a breakfast of biscuits smothered in a pork sausage gravy with sausage and potatoes and eggs, and think, "I’m gonna die if I eat this. And then you just can’t stop shoveling it in.  

 

Honestly, do you think Julius other of the era’s emperors really ate Caeser Dressing.  

 

Yesterday I teased you about 1983 with, “In 1983 the massive USA Military invaded Grenada. We managed to eke out a victory.” But the real battle in the world over was between Betamax and VHS.  That's where the focus was, in addition to the Cabbage patch doll shortage. Not that the Irish IRA exploded a bomb outside of London's Harrods during Christmas shopping season. Or those pictures we saw of emaciated children starving to death in Ethiopia. Or do you remember the sadness here when the US Embassy in Bierut was bombed by terrorists. No, everybody was watching the final episode of M*A*S*H. Technology was coming alive as Microsoft introduced their first version of Wordstar and people jumped on their limited knowledge to hold court at cocktail parties... when they weren't talking about eth new Lotus 123. I was more concerned about whether Steve Grogan could lift the New England Patriots out of the doldrums. Hearts palpitated as the Dow soared above 1200 to 1248, But the ied interest rates were 11%. Which was partially offset by a heartwarming drop in a gallon of gas to 96 cents. 12 slices of Kraft singles American cheese cost $1.49. Teens at the time were latching on to Madonna. Were they getting the right message about life? Mario Brothers put Nintendo on the map. And Jim Henson gave us Fraggle Rock, helping to legitimize HBO. Woman were liking side button skirts, and Sally Ride was the first woman in space. And the world of music exploded with the intro of the CD. The best films were Scarface, The Right Stuff, Silkwood, The Outsiders, The Dead Zone, National Lampoon’s Vacation and the Big Chill. Which had the correct name as far as I was concerned. Tedious. You could geta CD boombox for $277. But of all the top songs, I only remember Flash Dance. Oh, what a feeling! By the end of this year, I will only have one daughter in college. Zowie! I had gone into my own business and chose to live in Rhode Island. I had been vacationing there, had done a lot of business with good people in solid RI companies and had some of my greatest friends living there. And a lot of dust from ancient ancestors was sprinkled around the countryside. It was the place for me to be. 

 

A reader suggests to older people. If you decide to get down on the floor to play with grandchildren, be sure you have filed a flight plan with responsible adults to help you return to a standing position to help you fly back into your dreams. 

 

These LinkedIn requests are bothersome. They don’t want you, they want links to your wallet and connections. Why would I even want to link up with a stranger in Sacramento. Who would be like many out of the blue people who pester me with extortive mannerisms in what feels like a thinly veiled scam. Paranoids should not join Linked-In. 

 

Think about how regularly people buy overpriced goods convenience stores or specialty gourmet food shops. And think about how that may contribute to higher prices everywhere for all of the people who actually pay attention to what things cost and what they spend. The irony is that it is mainly the poor who shop at convenience stores and the well-off who go for artisan and gourmet shops, neither of whom worry about the source of their income drying up. If you get my drift. 

 

The Answer: 

Word Perfect came out of Brigham Young University's Satellite Software International 44 years agio, It became popular beating out Microsoft's WordStar around 1987 and reigned as king into the early 1990’s until “Word” and Microsoft's might took over. 

 

“Flash Dance” was like “Rocky” for dancers: 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment