Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Good stocks in small coves.

Today's Tids Issue 2,088
Opening Stuff:

The stock markets are sluggish right now and may continue that way for a while. Most of the 70% stock price gain has merely corrected an over reaction 35% drain a year and a half ago. The market is still short of highs by 400 points!. And the news that in Feb investors were pulling out of stock mutual’s in favor of the bond variety indicates slower going for the stock markets. There will probably be little general rising on incoming tides as was the case in recent history. If you want stocks to work for you, you will have to do the work picking winners and losers based on sound financial data as opposed to whimsical news. If I was rich, these words would be more meaningful. But it’s the way I see it.

Last night I had a big decision to make: Fill out my Census report, or do my NCAA Bracketeering. I chose the brackets. This March annual is creeping right up there with mom, Chevrolet and apple pie. And I figure, from what I’ve been seeing in the Government census commercials, that the census has just become the basis for the justifying the picking of citizen’s pockets.

The Question:
Name five Broadway musicals that were based on classic literature.

Today’s Headlines:
--US Investors In February Pull $3.7 Billion From Stock Based Mutual Funds; $19 Billion Poured Into Bond Based Funds.
--Pelosi Considering Passing Health Care Without A Vote; Speaker Would Use Lawmaker’s Ploys Called “Self Executing Bill” Or “Deem And Pass”; Procedural Slight Of Hand Has House Members Voting On Small Package Of Fixes To Senate Bill And Then Deeming Entire $849 Billion Monster Passed; Procedure Designed To Protect Dems At Voting Time.
--Housing Construction Fell 5.9% In February.
--Israel States That It Has No Intention Of Stopping West bank Construction; US Envoys Cancel Meetings.
--FCC Presents Plan That Would Greatly Expand Broadband.
--Archeologists In Egypt Unearth Massive 3,400 Year Old Statues.

Back to More Stuff:

The rioters in Greece are visible proof that economies based on out of control debt will expire over time. The state workers are rioting to preserve income and benefits that they should lose and which would never would have been available if achieved under realistic economic standards. Its like generations today in America expect everything because they were given everything through debt accumulation. Debt masks reality. Even in this US economy, the greatest in history some say, its current levels would never have been achievable if people didn’t go deeply into debt spending way more than they could afford. And it appears that the only way back to old levels is to encourage reckless behavior again.

Did you hear about the immigrant from Warsaw who was concerned that his new American wife was going to poison him to death when he found a bottle in the medicine chest labeled Polish Remover.

The story line read “(Dakota) Fanning is trying to shed her good girl image with ‘The Runaways’…” What’s wrong with a “good girl” image? Does this mean she will be found dead in a seedy motel room in five years? Seems to be the trend. Maybe like Lindsay, she can get a couple of states to pay her royalties for the use of the name. I wish her the best on her move to the dark side, but I have to wonder why?

Cars that are “hard to keep on the lot” probably have defective brakes.

You know that old phrase, “Kids don’t have the sense to come in out of the rain.”? They still don’t.

The Novel:
Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 60 continues. –“Sarah, great to see you. And wonderful to see you walking so spryly!” Isabelle was all aglow about my recovery. It’s one of the reasons I liked her from the start – she is genuine in addition to being smart and aware.
“I’m not quite there yet,” I replied smilingly, “But being here with you is going to be my best medicine to date.” I pulled out a chair to the right of her desk and sat. I always sat to the right of clients when I their offices. “I expect Bill, Gloria and Jeff have been taking good care of their new favorite client?” Izzy smiled, but she could never be overwhelmed by flattery.
“They have been excellent. Our financial and accounting guys think highly of them. We are totally happy to be a part of your fine company family.” She couldn’t flatter me either. “But, that is ongoing and going well. I know you want to talk about our technology and the Bromsky affair. Maybe I should call Kent Middleton into the meeting.” My heart leapt a bit. But then, I actually remained cool. Hmmmm.
“No, I’d like to talk to you alone.” I’ve had a couple of weeks to think about this mess by myself. I’ve had all of the input I need form Kent. It is Izzy I need to hear from. I can’t have potential fallout from the scam jeopardizing our investment. I have a feeling that Kent loves the data that fell out of the heavens into his team’s lap. “What do…” I started, when I heard a soft rap on the door, “I heard you were in the building.” I turned and saw a smiling Kent. I smiled. My body stiffened.

Back to More Stuff Again:

Peter Graves entertained us in many ways, from Mission Impossible to comedic adventures like Airplane. But, what I liked what I just learned about this brother of Gunsmoke’’s James Arness was that when he died he was still married to his college sweetheart of 60 years, Joan Endress. See, Hollywood isn’t totally corruptive. I guess it depends on the hearts of the players.

And then there is Charlie Sheen who yesterday pleaded Not Guilty to domestic abuse. And I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if his confidence came from knowing that his mate wouldn’t talk knowing that if she did she’d have at least have two broken legs.

Back in the 80’s when the “brightest” were touting the new and exciting service economy, didn’t they realize that they were also the dooming the viability of the health care system.

American analysts and economists based in outposts like Hong Kong and Shanghai are seeing signs coming from the US admin of a potential trade war. And they are reporting distress about from officials inside China and other Asian countries. It isn’t a secret that Big Labor has been very upset at so little being delivered for their big $400 Million investment in the 0-Man election. Stay tuned on this one.

The Answer:
First to my mind was megahit My Fair Lady based on “Pygmalion”. Then there was West Side Story loosely based on “Romeo and Juliet” and Kiss Me Kate based on “The Taming of the Shrew”. Wicked is based on the book “Wizard of Oz”. Then there are the big hits with the same title as famous books. The hugest of these is Les Miserable’s. Also in that category is Oliver, Dracula and Little Women. Interestingly, Cats was based on a collection of poems by T.S. Elliot – “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats.”

The Small, Tidy Finale':

This is one of those great days when everybody just walks aimlessly around the town with their heads looking up at the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment