Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

IWHC

Today's Tids Issue 2,083
Opening Stuff:

Some economists want you to feel that if you don’t buy stocks now, you are going to miss out on the big bonanza. Many other equally reputable economists say it is a time to be really, really cautious as there are still too many unknowns about the scope and safety of the recovery. Sounds a little like walking the plank. On one hand you’re off the scary ship. On the other hand you have to swim 40 miles through shark infested waters to gain your freedom. If you can find the right direction!

I was thinking over the night about our current and just past conflicted Presidents and their obsessions over the Iraq War (IW) and Health Care (HC). IWHC, hmmmm. IWHC – The Infernal Woes of Hapless Chiefs.

The Question:
Mare Winningham had a nice part on “24”last night. Name some of her movies when she was in her prime.

Today’s Headlines:
--Prime Time Launches Latest Campaign Against Insurance Companies.
--Toyota Shows That Shorting “Gimmick” Shown In ABC Lawyer Promo Video And Later To Congress Affects All Cars The Same Way; Professor To Privately Meet With Toyota Engineers.
--Malicki Looking Like The Winner In Iraq; Total Voting Down From 2005 Election.
--Culture News Special: Tiger And Elin Caught Kissing In Public.
--1 Year Anniversary Of Stock Market Low Has Stocks Futures Lower.
-- NBA Star Allen Iverson May Have Gambled Away $200,000,000 In Earnings; Reports Say High Paid Star May be Destitute.

Back to More Stuff:

New York up-state Democrat Congressman Eric Massa may be seen by some as an angry man spouting off frustration in a sour grapes tirade. But when he evoked the name of Rahm Emanuel, describing the Admin operator as the son of the spawn of Satan who would kill his mother for a vote --- he became entirely believable to me.

Remember that the Tids political columnist warned at the time of the selection, that Rahm Emanuel's presence diminsihed the credibility of the new admin for "Change and Hope" before it got started

Too many people think that smart people are smart about everything.

Roll around in your mouth for a couple of minutes the names of these two organizations: National Enquirer and Pulitzer Prize. The tastes don’t compliment each other well, Do they? That’s what the chiefs of the PP thought when the NE story about the John Edwards Love baby was nominated for the esteemed award. The chiefs of the prize committee initially nixed the idea saying we don’t recognize the efforts of checkbook journalism. Surprise. It turns out that the NE did it the old fashioned way, with dogged legwork and courageous reporting. They got the tough story while many of the so called media elite probably tried to suppress the dirty dope to protect the slime ball from North Carolina. At least, that’s the way it looks to me.

For years I always called the august organization’s award the “Chicken Shocker” award – Pullet Surprise.

The Novel:
Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 58 continues. –It felt good to be in real clothes again. I felt like twirling as I might have done as a child. Watching my skirt flair out in the backyard breeze. But, my still wobbly legs were not cooperating even though my feelings were in fantasy land. I was deeply inside my imagination when I heard a clatter. When I looked up I saw Jill and Jax standing at the foot of the bed with these incredible monster grins on their faces holding a huge sign “Our House Needs Mom’s Laughs”. Talk about teary… I beckoned them over, and behind them a beaming Paul moved into take the sign. They bolted to my open arms knocking us all back on to my bed. We laughed uncontrollably.
“Thanks everybody.” I looked up at Paul. “And especially you my beautiful husband.” He actually turned red. He could not speak.
He came over and kissed me hard. “The kids giggled, “OooooooooH!” I looked at them and then I turned red.h
Paul went over and packed all the junk I had accumulated during the past two weeks. The kids took the vases of flowers out to the nurses. I felt really good. The phone rang. Paul glanced my way.
“Oh hi” It was Kent. “I’m doing very well Henry.” I said. Why did I do that? “I’m in the process of getting out of this place, so I can’t talk.” He was telling me how lovely I looked when he was last here. “Ok. I’ll drop by when I can walk a little better. I’d love to hear from you all of the dope about our little caper.” I smiled at what Kent had replied.
All of a sudden the room didn’t feel quite so happy.

Back to More Stuff Again:

"24"-um: As they have quite often this year, almost the first 45 minutes were devoted to re-establishing or affirming some characters and situations A lot of time was spent on the tense bomb sequence, and it was well done. But, that was the first excitement and it was almost 50 minutes into the hour. The revelation of the bad leader being the daughter's lover was a much needed spark to the storyline. But, that was kind of in the back of my mind. Or at least, I hoped for that. Next week could be sensational if they live up to the promise!

When you think about it, maybe the salvation of the print press is to start digging deeper and reporting with more gusto stories that may even go against the papers bias. To begin to hold feet to the fire instead of looking for the excuses. The people are crying out for a credible defense against the free-to-do-as-they-want politicians.

While I’m all for protecting the second amendment (As I am for all of the freedoms), I’m having to think that packin’ heat in a hip holster at a mall or restaurant is a little bit of overkill. .

Controlling 3-4 Word Phrases Used By Moms Department: “You like that blouse?” You’re wearing what?” “You’re dating whom?” “You like that make-up?” “You like that haircut?” “You’re going there?” “Of course you’re busy!” You get the picture. You always know, even when you are approaching your own “senior” status. Send in some you may have experienced over the years.

The news item about the Tiger/Elin public kiss had my mind reverting back to the staged Bill/Hill dance by the lagoon in the post Monica days. You know how victims of fires and disasters call the refurb teams to get out the stench? Celebs have the same hot line available personal mishaps. Cleaning up after stupidity is big business.

A headline that starts “Gibbs brushes off…” always means to me, dig further.

Irish Extortion(?) Department:
A well known music store and tourist trinkets shop in Newport RI was the scene of picketing yesterday by members of the large Irish community. The object of their scorn were T-Shirts with the usual insults to Irish like drinking and partying jokes. However it may be deeper than that. The owner, a respected Newport businessman, for the first time in recent memory (Because of the economy) refused to buy an ad in the official Saint Patrick’s Day Parade program. The Leprechauns made us do it!

Did you hear about the middle aged ex-athlete who saw in the mirror, a waste of time?

There is evidence aplenty that many Democrats are running openly against Obama policies. This is one reason why the Commander in Chief is ordering (Strongly suggesting) his troops to give up their seats for health care. The end-of-March deadline proposed by the nations leading political showman is probably their because once in anti admin campaign mode there is no turning back.

The Answer:
Interestingly, one of Mare’s notable first parts occurred when she was 12 yo in a school play. She played Maria in a version of Sound of Music…opposite classmate Kevin Spacey! She started in TV with parts on Police Woman and Starsky & Hutch and continued as a feature player throughout her career in many TV Movies. Her first film successes were in One Trick Pony and Threshhold. She received more fame in Saint Elmo’s Fire and was one of the original “Brat Pack” alums. Other films were Miracle Mile, Turner & Hootch, Wyatt Earp and The War. Her greatest recognition came in the form of SAG and Academy Award Nominations for her work in the 1995 film Georgia. She also won Golden Globes and Emmys from her strong TV movie performances.

A Bang-up Ending:

I see the second amendment as assuring a margin of protection for average citizens against the potential of an aggressive armed government. I don’t see it as a perpetual license for people running around shooting each other, or themselves in after hour’s clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment