Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The world is a hedge fund.

Today's Tids Issue 2.085
Opening Stuff:

In these days of cable news fame and character superficiality, I am reminded of a quote from Cary Grant: “Let them see you and not the suit.”

One of the new oft cited modern day culture terms that is really starting to bother me is “Reality Star”.

TheQuestion:
Newport RI is so steeped in Irish tradition and heritage that St Patrick’s Day celebrations there take a full month! But, it is not one of the ten most Irish cities in the country. What are they?

The Headlines:
--24,000 HSBC Swiss Accounts Stolen; Could Expose International Customers To Tax Violation Prosecution.
--49 US Governors Agree On Education Standards For Math And English; Action Could Preempt Federal Mandating Or Ownership Of Local Education..
--House Dems Say They Are Close To HC Bill.
--New Richest Man In the World Is Mexico’s Telecom Tycoon Carlos Slim.
--Societal Woes: NJ Man Accused Of Raping, Beating Five Daughters.
--Some Economic Analysts Starting To Wonder If US Is On Same Downward Path As Greece.
--Foreclosure Rate Increase Smallest In 4 years.

Back to More Stuff:

Eric Massa is now looking like poster child for the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” controversy.

What percentage of the world’s countries would cease to exist without foreign aid and organizations like the IMF? Think about how many countries are basically welfare states primarily dependent on the largess of the big guys who probably need their geographic location for something.

Africa doesn’t have a chance. Unless China or India buys it some day.

Looking for Cold Cash Department:
Iceland is a step away from being foreclosed upon unless they can negotiate something with the British and Dutch banks holding a huge percentage (Like 70%) of the cold nation’s debt. The people are outraged because it will cost each of them tens of thousands of Krona. Basically, the leaders of the small country were sucked into investment banking bonanzas that ere highly risky. In fact, the risky investing became so pervasive in the Iceland banks and government that the country transformed form a country into a “Hedge Fund”. Now, the big bill is a problem for mom and popcycle. Looking back, it appears to have been a scam of major proportions. But, all of that money went somewhere as it did in the Madoff affair. The repayment solution may lie in an investigation and persecution of the perpetrators.

Tomorrow I’ll tell you about Daniel Moi scams. (Moi is one of those African despots who made personally about $12 Billion at the expense of his country Kenya)

American Idol Update: Well the men went at it last night and tey  looked a little better. I have to say that Big Mike, who I hadn't enjoyed much in earlier shows, was outstanding last night. Others who looked safe to me were Casey, Aaron and Lee. I didn't think that Tim or Todrick were as good as the gushing judges thought they were. In fact I would say Urban should be one to go except for the cuteness factor (Young girls opinion, not mine). Todrick's Queen piece just didn't get there. Alex looked stiff and Andy looked most vulnerable. I think Hall and Garcia go.

The report about Pelosi’s declaration of the Dems being close to agreement on Health Care contained this phrase: “After days of ‘Secretive Meetings’, key Democrats are close…” Isn’t “Secretive Meetings” what got this “plan” off on the wrong foot in the first place”. I’m still all for using existing criminal laws to prosecute fraud, common sense to eliminate waste, and some teeth to regulate some of the well publicized activities like denying for pre-existing conditions before we pass GotchaZilla. I’m particularly concerned that in this current rush by cities and states to ban tasty foods that gravy bans maybe become part of this giant Federal HC meatball.

Through the Same Eyes: Chapter 59 continues. -- I was having dinner alone one night about 3 months ago in a little country inn about ten miles south of Fosterville. I was just enjoying myself after a day of frustrating progress on our research project. Isabelle Phillips our CEO, who I liked and respected, had this crazy plan where she decided to hire another Phd like myself to create duel projects, hoping competition would get her to a marketable product faster. Or at least get her to a point where she could build a case for outside financing. She hired this guy Bromsky, who I immediately disliked. But, in the back of my mind something said to me that I might be able to take advantage of his huge ego. And arrogance.
Just about the time the waitress came over to check on my needs, Bromsky himself walked in followed by a youngish, good looking but sullen woman. I continued to eat, but noticed that the woman seemed bored with Bromsky, and in fact seemed to be taking an interest in me. We played eye games and after a while I decided, why not. I got up and went over to the table. I noticed her eyes followed me there. Bromsky was so into his ego that he didn’t notice.
Just as he put a fork full of green beans in his mouth I said (in what would be considered jovial for me) “Seymore!”,. He looked over, finished eschewing, wiped his mouth and replied, “Kent, what are you doing here”. Now that is a stupid question, I thought. He looked at me for a second or two, recovered and said “Oh, this is my little niece Laura.’ I could tell she hated that. I turned and held out my hand which she grasped in a way that sent shivers down my spine.

The Toyota defense could be one of the most important new legal tools for prison lawyers. One man serving time in NJ for manslaughter has already filed an appeal based on the “Car made me do it” Defense. And then you have to look at the new rash of complaints as perhaps attempts to climb aboard the Toyota acceleration suit express. You just know that lawyers across the fruited plains are pinching themselves wondering if the acceleration problem is a dream. There’s an old maxim that says when people think something may happen they look for ways to make it happen.

And, of course, there is the fact that the US Government and Labor Unions own GM and Chrysler and that anything bad that happens to Toyota is good for them. But, Congress would never do anything that wasn’t above reproach. Would they.

Don’t be surprised by the action of Israel announcing the expansion of West Bank development. Even at the 0-Man/BiBi sit down following their first meeting last year, it was fairly obvious that Netanyahu wasn’t buying what Obama selling. Under Ben’s leadership Israel will always do what Israel wants to do as opposed to bowing to the desires of their biggest financier..

The Answer:
 Milton Massachusetts is number one followed by Pearl River NY, Braintree Ma, Collingdale Pa, Marshfield Ma, Scituate Ma, Gloucester City NJ, Drexel Park Pa, Pembroke Ma and Weymouth Ma. Newport is not only not on this list, it isn’t even number one in RI. Narragansett takes the honors there. But don’t tell that to the Newport Irish. Oh, if you are wondering where Sarah Palin gets all of her Blarney. Wasilla Alaska is the most Irish in that state. Check out your state:
http://www.epodunk.com/top10/irish/

Final Thought:

Maybe I’m biased, but it warms the cockles of my heart watching Irish enjoy each other’s company at the St. Pat’s Day parade. Add in a couple of bagpipes, and it is as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment