Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Monday, April 11, 2022

Simplicity

 


Today's Tids Issue 5,142 

The 15% Theory: 

 

 

I always feel a little competitive tension in my belly each morning just before I open “Wordle”. 

 

People these days often canonize entertainers. In a world which needs so much more thoughtfulness, the glitterati are exalted to the highest. While many a good giving human being is often lost in the light shows. Just a simple thought about sensibility.  

 

Campaigner Joe Biden in comparison to the incumbent manic presence of Trump and the previous omnipresent gregarious Obama, promised to be underwhelming, Boring. And pundits are now saying he over-delivered. Except for the mystery behind son Hunter. 

 

A can opener that doesn’t work is a can’t opener. 

 

The Question: 

What is the origin of the old phrase “In the Nick of Time” 

 

The Headlines: 

--Markets Sink; Earnings Reports Begin This Week; Inflation, Risung Commodity Prices, Ukraine, Fed Moves And Treasury Yields Are A Perfect Storm Of Negative Concerns.  

--Russian General Known As “Butcher of Syria” Is Appointed By Putin To Take Over Russia War Strategy; Most Expect More Civilian Targets. 

--McConnell Says Tat If Repubs Take Over House And Senate They Will Help Biden Become A Good Moderate. 

--India’s Modi Joins Xi In Avoiding Blaming Russia For War. 

--Biden To Announce New Gun Legislation. 

--Liz Cheney Far Outpaces Wyoming Seat Competitor, Raising $3 Million. 

 

I truly am truly thankful for Brahms perseverance in overcoming his Beethoven phobia to write four wonderful symphonies. 

 

But a guy who comes close to qualifying g for performer sainthood is Billy Joel. He is just an amazing songwriter who can at any time surprise you by going down an entirely new musical lane. 

 

I like elephants. Everything else is irrelephant. 

 

I wonder if atheists will pay their taxes on Good Friday so they don’t have to celebrate the days importance by using the extension until Monday the 18th. That was my little bitb of atheist humor for Holy Week until: That’s what I thought at first, that honoring Good Friday was the reason to move the Tax Filing Date. But now I have learned that it is a DC sacred Holiday, “Emancipation Day”. Who knew that DC had their own holidays that could bring the USA to a standstill? 

 

Just two more years. That’s all, Department:  

A little over two years after Sears gave up and closed their warehouses and Catalog operation, Amazon delivered their first book. We coulda bin a Cyber biz. 

 

I think March and April have switched roles. April has been really windy, and March was rainy most of the time, See, and you think I didn’t recognize climate change. 

 

I love these left leaning columnists who continually antagonize and push further away good ole regular conservative folks with their single-minded views. And then they always seem to get premier space I na newspaper to write about urging the USA to overcome the divide. Analyze thyself. 

 

What's red and bad for your teeth? A brick. 

 

After way too much Tiger gushing, we really did have some great competitive paly in the Masters. Scheffler has certainly set himself up as the man to chase this year and years to come. I’m not disregarding Tiger's accomplishments or his guts or his determination to overcome the pain and hardship of playing on fragile legs. It is just that ten networks in all sports sometimes sacrifice the competition to the adulation.  It is a problem, a concern for sports aficionadas to see the game succumb to the need to tell back stories, create controversies that seem to have become more important than the games themselves. Recently the side conversation during a baseball game went on to the point that the announcer forgot report on a great hit and scoring situation. There are too many sideline and basepath reporters who add nothing... except to payroll and diversity statistics. I think it is because the networks were paying too much for the rights to broadcast and can only realize offsetting ad revenues if they can expand to non-sport inclined audiences, those mainly event centric or FOMOs.   

 

I'm finding I may be readjusting my parameters for base line pricing. Coffee is a good example of level up charging. Maybe a year ago $4.99 would be my price I would aim for as my top price where today it may be around $6.99 on sale. My shopping hobby became looking for premium brands on sale. I discovered rather quickly premium brands were generally not worth the significant upcharge. I used to have pretty good handle on where reasonable pricing ended and too expensive began. And now I’m recalculating.  

 

It’s a faux pa to make a “dad joke” if you are not a dad. 

 

 

It must sound odd to people in the south and mid-west when I say I saw my first bloom of one flower or another. Qr when we may have been enraptured by the new beauty of colorful flowers that elsewhere bloom all year long or have been for months. But frankly I enjoy the jolt of color that retransforms my life’s outlook around now each year. 

 

The Answer: 

“In the nick of time” originated in the 18th century when businessmen would often keep track of debts owed (And interest accumulated) by carving nicks in “tally stick.” When someone arrived to pay off their debt before the next nick was carved, they’d save a day's worth of interest. 

 

I believe most arguments are closer than the combatants want them ot be, really... just for arguments’ sake. And too many times the big picture is lost in the confusion of small details, often easily reconcilable. Just sit back and listen to arguments instead of getting into them. 

 

What did the janitor say when he jumped out of the closet? 

“Supplies!” 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment