Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Friday, September 16, 2022

Do fat ladies sing in Russia?

 

 


Today's Tids Issue 5,269. 

It is a nice day, isn't it? 

 

 

There's a big Uh-Oh moving not so silently through Wall Street this morning. 

 

My delightful, reliable and lovable house cleaning person is coming shortly so I've been busy cleaning the house for her. And that includes gathering a bountiful crop of Cheetos from couch cushions and crevices.  

 

One of each morning's tedious little chores is standing there filling up the carafe with water to use for brewing coffee 

 

Today is National Concussion Awareness Day. I've been sitting here trying to remember all my many concussions over the years, but I forgot. 

 

What is brown and runs across the dessert? A caramel.  

 

Hey, a year ago today we celebrated the 5,000th issue of Today's Tids. Well at least I did. Even after 5,269 issues, when you ask Google, they still give me the tidal charts for the day.  

 

The Question: 

What ten states have the longest ocean coastlines? What states have the longest waterlines if you count inland water shores. 

 

The Headlines.  

--Markets Lower; FedEx Warnings Generate Gloom On The Street.  

--Judge Raymond Dearie Named Special Master In Mar-a-Lago Caper; Dearie Was Appointed By Reagan To Federal Bench In NY And Was One Suggested By Trump And Accepted.  

--Texas Gov Abbott Says White House Led By “Hypocrite-in-Chief.” 

--Mass Graves Found After Russian Troops Pull Out Of Ukraine Cites. 

--Senate Postpones Vote On Same Sex Marriage Until After Mid-Terms. 

--Putin And Xi Meet Face To Face For First Time; China Indicating Concerns Over Russai Defeats In Ukraine; Putin Hold On Kremlin Shows Signs Of Weakening Even As Cronies Recommit To Support.. . 

 

I personally see no need for streaming NFL games. But I know it is trendy to stream and there is apparently excitement about watching games on tablets and for some reason tiny phones. I happen to have Prime so I could watch it last night, but not a TV that would be more convenient for everybody. Now I need to replace all not-so- “Smart TV’s” or add streaming devices like Firestick. For what, to be part of trend? And by the way, production was bad, and we still get commercials on top of paying for Prime. With blaring sound too.  

 

Speaking of trends that may die faster than others, how about charcuterie boards? 

 

A lot of people like streaming because it is a way around cable bills, but there is a fact that history will authenticate – big business never leaves money on the table. 

 

You know, I think that “God Save the Queen” is a stirring piece of music. That leads me to ask why we no longer sing “My Country tis of Thee”. Is there something woke going on there. “My country, 'tis of thee, Sweet land of liberty, Of thee I sing; Land where my fathers died, Land of the pilgrims' pride, From ev'ry mountainside Let freedom ring!” Sounds pretty good to me. 

 

World tensions seem to be increasing. Russia has just warned the US of possible retaliation saying the Billion dollars for Ukraine weapons is an attack on its Motherland. Across the continent a bit, China is saying the same thing about the weapons we have contributed to Taiwan. I find that probably as unnerving as just about any manufactured argument going on these days. It’s certainly a more worrisome postulation than gotcha politics. 

 

At least there is something word se than the stock markets to ponder. 

 

Just 6 months til Saint Patrick's Day when you can smile away the ills of the world. 

 

Parents always tell their kids to say ‘no’ to drugs. If they’re talking to drugs already, it’s too late 

 

If you want to judge the health of our economy by restaurants around here, then you would be buying stock as if it were free.  

 

Today is National Guacamole Day. Count me out. Soupy green stuff reminds me of the Exorcist. 

 

See if you think the headline below that popped up yesterday is contradictory to rational thinking: “Electric power consumption must be greatly increased to go green.” 

 

This is patsy weekend in college football, an embarrassment, really. We will see enormous runaway scores this weekend and losers limping home from a field upon they should never have been on. I know, it is fun to think that you can be the mouse that roared, bring down Goliath. But real facts just of sake and speed and to some degree skill level belie the dream. The few good College games this week could be Georgia at South Carolina, BYU at Oregon, Penn State at Auburn and Miami at Texas A&M. You don’t want to see Alabama trouncing UL Monroe (?), Pine Bluff bewildered by Oklahoma State, or Toledo being smothered by Ohio State.  

 

Are there two more annoying words than “Wrong Password”? 

 

The Answer: 

Number one is Alaska followed by Florida, California, Hawaii, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, Oregon, Maine and Massachusetts. If all coastlines re considered it is Alaska, Florida, Louisiana and then a group between 3,100and 3,400 miles including Michigan, Maryland, Texas, North Carolina, Maine, Washington and Virginia. The next significant group that is in the 2,000's includes South Carolina, New York and Georgia. Those in the1000 mile grouping are New Jersey, Massachusetts and Hawaii.  

 

Have great weekend, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y!! 

 

I'll be on a bit of a vacation next week. But I’ll keep this mess going. Hey, it may even be more refreshing as I will not be typing in this dungeon. But it could be shorter at times with a mixed schedule. I hope. But I want to leave you this week with this. It always gets my heart athumping. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment