Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Don’t lump me in.

 


Today's Tids Issue 4,779.

Use your individual talent:

 

A smart veteran of Washington’s political wars, an experienced White House insider, said yesterday that Biden will enter the office on time, and Trump will leave. That Biden will get the info he needs. That’s just the way America works, she said to a small group including this Tidster. Despite the way the press reports all of the inane bickering, America is bigger than individual pettiness, and here the inevitable always materializes. So many news “Specials” are basically about nothing at all.

 

“Seize the moment!” Remember all of those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.” –Erma Bombeck.

 

On ABC Nightly news last night, I was disturbed by a segment that I thought was irresponsible journalism. The Anchor pointed out Covid induced empty shelves in a supermarket. What good is that news? It will only create anxiety among the hysterical, a rush on stores, becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy of empty shelves.  And frankly, it had the appearance of only an anecdotal incident, not representative of a nation gone mad! Why report it at all? All the stores around here look just fine.

 

If you are interested in the NBA, it’s a fun night tonight as the draft finally begins after being postponed from earlier this year. There are also some cool potential trades on the horizon ahead of the draft. That may be the best prt, My Boston Celtics may need a lot as every key competitor in the Eastern Division has been improving. I’m basically a sports nut, so pardon the interruption.

 

The Question:

Name three Erma Bombeck Books.

 

The Headlines:

--Investors See Rise Of Infections As Having Greater Impact On Economy Than The Arrival Of Vaccines; All Markets Higher At Mid-Morning.

--FAA Clears Boing 737 Max For Flight Resumption; American And Southwest To Begin As Soon As Possible.

--Biden Teams Looking At Student Debt Cancellation.

--Supreme Court Signaling That Obama Care Will Stay; Individual Mandate Will Go; Decision Expected In Early 2021.

--Uncounted Votes Being Found In Several Georgia Counties; Not Enough To Change results.

 

As the dust settles, it appears that the Repubs Did quite well this election year. We don’t know the s final Senate tally yet, but it seems that the Repubs will win one of the two Georgia seats. It’s in the house where eyebrows are being raised. The GOP gained 9 seats in the house. It is even more interesting that the Repubs won all twelve of democrat held seats up for grabs. They lost three Repub held seats, two of which were lost due to redistricting in North Carolina. of the. And from the Non-Partisan “CookePolitical Toss-Up Column – “It’s now been almost two weeks from election day, and Democrats still haven’t won a ‘single one” of the 27 seats on the Toss-up List.”

 

All of a sudden, I’m noticing that “Turkey Tenderloins” are a hot new meat item. People all around town are talking about them. How does something come from out of nowhere to become so popular so fast? And why? Well, my theory is that more people are looking for smaller turkeys this year because of diminished Thanksgiving Gatherings, That means there is an abundance large turkeys that would have a large, marketable tenderloins. Walla! Sell tenderloins. That’s my theory and I’m drumsticking to it.

 

I am hearing lot of [RH1] a post-election upsurge of talk about the increase of women in Congress. I hear women talking about the idea that all of the women should form a power group causes which could be quite powerful. I a have a problem with that thinking. And it’s not about women. This is a problem with lumping people by gender, race, sexuality and ethnicity. The premise of forming such groups seems to be based on the hope that all women; all races, all Asians and Hispanics, all Italians, Irish Poles and Persians think exactly alike. Regardless of our crazed new normal’s, people within genders, races, orientations or ethnicity are all induvial with their own minds.

 

The graduation rate among all college athletes is up to 90% now. I think that most athletes see their scholarships as a pretty big payment for playing the games. Most will soon recognize that their opportunity for education is invaluable as only a few make it big in the professional sports.

 

The Voice began the Knock-Out rounds last night. I’m becoming enamored with Payge Turner’s voice. I did it in the battles and I appreciated her last night. I don’t know if it’s her voice or the emotions she puts into her singing. Other observations – Ben Allen is a real classic, very good country singer. The top performances according to the small fans poll were Payge Turner, Ben Allen and Worth the Wait. WtW, the family Mother/daughters trio, sang Delta Dawn and I liked it a lot. Yet, I’m not a huge fan of them,

 

What kind of America are we creating with an idea like Student Debt Collection? No responsibility, that’s America.

 

The Answer:

The three are: “When God created Mothers”, “Life is a bowl of cherries. What am I doing in the Pits?” and Forever, Erma: Best-loved writing from America’s favorite Humorist.”

 

One of my biggest beefs is identity politics.

 

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, “I used everything you gave me.”  Erma Bombeck.

 

I’d better start working harder.


 [RH1]

No comments:

Post a Comment