Layng quietly in fields

Layng quietly in fields
Glstening lights

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Listen to your elders.

 


Today's Tids Issue 4,733

Listen to your youth:

 

Before Socrates spoke it is said, he would ask three question:

Is it true?

Is it kind?

Is it necessary?”

Hmmm -- How refreshing.

 

I was having a nice dinner last night with wife and Grandson at a well know RI restaurant which has achieved institutional status over the decades. It was a  nice setting on a patio, with yellow flowers and about 20 feet above a lake bathed in in evening shadows. It started to rain about half way through dinner, not heavy, but enough. I looked around. Nobody panicked, a few moved an umbrellas closer while another few casually walked over and found a couple of new ones, No running around, no shouting “Waiter, waiter stop the rain, I’m eating.” No just Americans doing what they do so well -- Taking care of themselves.

 

 

They are still counting paper ballots for the primary held here last Tuesday. There were not that many voting. What will happen with the national elections? Yikes! I’m going to the polls so my vote will count early.

 

Over the years I’ve been noticing around this state the systematic gains of organized liberal activist groups and growing assertiveness in statewide and local town campaigns, gaining seats on local school committees, city and town governments and in the State House. With the web, Liberal organizations aren’t just local fragments any more. I believe this is the biggest grass roots campaign in America today. And I don’t see it as a formula for keeping the USA as great as it always has been.

 

The depressing thing aobut tennis is that no matt how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall.”  Mitch Hedberg.

 

I may have to go read the comics. This morning my Providence Journal digital newspaper only half arrived, so I wrote the Exec Editor. He just wrote to say it’s up in its entirety now. I feel good that I could do something useful for RI this morning.

 

If there is ever a need for patience, it is within the stock markets today

 

The Question:

What was the name of the person who the Supreme Court ordered to be enrolled into the University of Mississippi in 1962?

 

The Headlines:

--Markets Hanging Around Correction Territory; Could Be Another Selling Day, But Markets Rebound Up In Late Morning; Marriott To Lay Off 17% Of Corporate Management; UPS to Hire 100K For Christmas..

--Oregon Wildfires Destroy 5 Towns; Fires Rolling Through California; 7 More Westerners Dead from Fires.

--2020 NFL Season Begs Tonight

--Massive Fire Breaks Out In Beirut Port One Month After Gigantic Explosion.

--NDak and SDak Experiencing Dramatic Upticks In CV Two Weeks After Sturgis Cycle Rally; Health Officials Tyring To Monitor Other Midwestern States For Sturgis Related Stats.

--If Trial Restarts, Asrtra-Zeneca Will Know Results Before End Of Year; If.

--Kardashians Say Just One More Year For Their Show About Nothing Relevant; “Walking Dead” Season11 Will End It All.

 

 

One big question that has always been asked over time is how much do oyu tell the public about impending possible emergencies. How do you balance transparency against potentially destructive panic? It is an arguable question, but of course not when it can be used as fodder against a sitting President. But the question remains, regardless of polices one of ethical and moral and practical dimensions. And there is always one side arguing against the other.

 

There wasn’t a guy I knew who wasn’t in love with Diana Rigg as “Emma Peel” in the great British 1964-1966 show The Avengers. She was beautiful, cool and tough…and witty. She died last night at 82. I wonder how many guys older now, still have her poster stuck away in the attic somewhere. She was a great actress from Shakespeare to TV, most recently in “Game of Thrones.”

 

I see where some knowledgeable people attribute that Socrates quote above other old wisemen. Regardless, I think it is a good idea for all to consider.

 

Talk about creating something out of nothing, this is that for sure. The first NFL games are on tap and picking will be all about not knowing much about the teams – no exhibitions, limited press coverage. But lots of boilerplate hype stories about big names in the game. And we know that hemifield is not the advantage it was. So, tonight we begin it all with a good game between the Texans and the Chiefs. I find no reason to doubt the Chiefs can win it. Though I’ll be rooting for the Texans. I won be dividing the rest between “posers” and “easy like I have in the past, because they’re all posers to me. Ok, here are the rest. I like the Raiders over the Panthers, The Eagles over the Skins. (Whoops), Falcons surprising the Seahawks, Bills who are now a new media darling, to beat the Jets. The Colts and Jags are a tossup, but I’ll go Colts. I like the Lions over da Bears, the Ravens over the Browns, the Chargers over the Bengal’s, the Saints over the Brady Bucs, Niners over Cards, Steelers over Giants and Titans over Broncs (Mighty Von Miller just put out for the Season). That leaves us with a couple of the bigger games. Cowboys-Rams and Pack-Vikes. And of course, my beloved Pats against the Dolphins. I’ll take Dallas to beat LA, That leaves the biggest game of the day. The experts have elevated the Pakc to the near top of the heap. But I’m going with the Vikes. And I have to pick My Pats. If they can’t win this Sunday, this could become the longest season in recent history.

 

I saw this wino eating grapes. I said, “Dud, you have to wait.”  Mitch Hedberg

 

“A woman who is third in line to have access to the nuclear codes says she was duped by a Hair Salon. Think about that one for a minute

 

KC Chiefs is latest team to succumb to culture cancellation. – No war paint or feathers is the new law for Chiefs Arrowhead stadium attendance.

 

The Answer:

Everybody probably knew it was James Meredith.

 

I’m ready for a little football tonight. It will be interesting to watch without crowds. Personally I love the game itself, so I may be able to exist without accouterments.

 

I like rice. Rice is great when you’re hungry and want 2,000 of something. --MH

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment